Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Northeast US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Serf

Default Re: Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!

[IMG]C:\Users\Michael\Pictures\2011-05-25[/IMG]

Hey everybody! This is my first post to this awesome site. I'm in Torrington, CT and have been enjoying my pizza oven since November 2006. I look forward to reading though all the content here and being part of this community!

-Mike
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61 View Post
[IMG]C:\Users\Michael\Pictures\2011-05-25[/IMG]

Hey everybody! This is my first post to this awesome site. I'm in Torrington, CT and have been enjoying my pizza oven since November 2006. I look forward to reading though all the content here and being part of this community!

-Mike
Hi Mike,
I just closed my dome tonight with the keystone! I am getting close now to firing and curing the oven. Which type of oven did you build? AS or Pompeii?
I am getting to the point of having to decide on adding extra thermal mass/cladding on the outside of the dome and I am still not sure of the benefits/trade offs. I am building a pompeii oven with 4 inch walls so far And I am now working on the vent chimney area. My goal is for pizza and then baking bread with other cooking as the temps allow.
Let me know how you use your oven and any suggestions you may have for my build.
Thanks
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
snip....,
I just closed my dome tonight with the keystone! I am getting close now to firing and curing the oven....snip
Congratulations!!

What is next for you?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 07-20-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Journeyman

Thanks for the congrats, I'll post some pics soon. I am working on the outside of the base and the on the oven outer arch/vent area. I am just hoping my HF saw blade holds out for the remainder of the build!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Hi Mike,
I just closed my dome tonight with the keystone! I am getting close now to firing and curing the oven. Which type of oven did you build? AS or Pompeii?
Thanks
John
Hi John, congrats on nearing completion of your oven!! As for mine, I actually purchased it from a place in New Haven called Tuscany Fire back in
'06. It's a Difiore oven imported from Italy. It's a modular oven consisting of 14 individual pieces. Since I did not trust my skills, I hired a mason to assemble it and build an enclosure around it. I obviously failed in my attempt to post a photo of it. If you can give me a helpful hint on posting the photo, I will attempt it again.
As far as what type of cooking I do in my oven, I do virtually everything you would do in a conventional oven. Besides pizza, I've baked bread, lasagna, porchetta (Italian style pork roast), our Thankgiving turkey every year, roasted root veggies, etc. I'm hoping to do my first suckling pig sometime this summer as well.
Good luck with your oven John, I know you must be very excited!

-Mike.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
If you can give me a helpful hint on posting the photo, I will attempt it again.
There are multiple ways of uploading photos, this thread covers the basics:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/u...otos-3241.html (Uploading photos)
Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Serf

Hi dmun, thanks for the link! I'll try to repost my pic and see what happens.
Thanks again!

Mike.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Hi dmun, thanks for the link! I'll try to repost my pic and see what happens.
Thanks again!

Mike.
Good Morning Mike,
I'd love to see your oven!
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Serf

Hi John,

I'm trying to post the pic of my oven but I keep getting a message that the upload failed. I'll keep trying.

-Mike
Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Hi John,

I'm trying to post the pic of my oven but I keep getting a message that the upload failed. I'll keep trying.

-Mike
Hi Mike,
You may need to down size the pic to 800 by 600 pixels, there is a limit on size of pictures.
Hope this helps
John

Photos:

Oven Blog: