Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Northeast US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I know of two wood fired ovens in Conn. that I have personally seen. Are there any others? Is anyone looking to build one in Conn.? I am currently trying to keep warm from this winters nasty weather. I have completed my oven stand and patio area. Now is the time for making an indispensible tool, templates, thermocouple electronics, etc. Lets share our knowledge in conn. and my door is always open for visitors to see the build. I do thank Bob in oxford for affording me the pleasure of seeing his build in progress and what a great job he did! I hope mine comes out half as good
Being undecided about thermocouples for our oven, I'd be interested in your plan for using them. I don't want battery operated boxes out there and the cost of the old fashioned gauge is painful. The more I read, judging oven readiness by the dome clearing, then using a handheld infrared unit will work -I already have one of those for testing catalytic converters
Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!

I did go and buy a meter last year in anticipation of the oven. It is a no frills meter for a panel. It cost 70.00 at the time form omega. I wish I got the centigrade version. Only three digit read out so it will only go up to 999 degrees F. 999 degrees C is hotter!
I will have about eight thermocouples positioned and I will be looking for feed back from the group as to where to locate them? The obvious places to me would be hearth floor, middle, right,left. The dome in the top center and maybe one to the side. Then one under the hearth insulation. (to check insulating properties of 4"'s of foamglas) One on top of that foamglas to check thermal soaking of the hearth. One or two on the outside of the dome under the insulation. (checking thermal soaking of dome) And one or two on the outside of the dome insulation. Checking for fires under the enclosure! OMG! I hope that doesn't happen! I know the expense is high but I thought wasting flour and time baking things to a charcoal black or not hot enough for long enough would be even more expensive!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aegis; 01-01-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I did go and buy a meter last year in anticipation of the oven. It is a no frills meter for a panel. It cost 70.00 at the time form omega. I wish I got the centigrade version. Only three digit read out so it will only go up to 999 degrees F. 999 degrees C is hotter!
I will have about eight thermocouples positioned and I will be looking for feed back from the group as to where to locate them? The obvious places to me would be hearth floor, middle, right,left. The dome in the top center and maybe one to the side. Then one under the hearth insulation. (to check insulating properties of 4"'s of foamglas) One on top of that foamglas to check thermal soaking of the hearth. One or two on the outside of the dome under the insulation. (checking thermal soaking of dome) And one or two on the outside of the dome insulation. Checking for fires under the enclosure! OMG! I hope that doesn't happen! I know the expense is high but I thought wasting flour and time baking things to a charcoal black or not hot enough for long enough would be even more expensive!
Welp, with eight thermocouples, you won't be short of data

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Journeyman

"Need more input" quote from Johnnie 5

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!

I was thinking about cross purposing an automotive Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge using a 12V power supply. I found one (gauge, probe, everything) on UK.ebay for less than 50 Pounds Sterling.

Last edited by Lburou; 01-02-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Journeyman

Now that is an interesting concept! Re-purposing the exhaust sensor makes a lot of sense! Let me know how that will turn out.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 01-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

Hey! You guys gonna cook in this thing or drive it around awhile before flying it to the moon? Eight thermocouples, exhaust sensors, flux capacitors, sky hooks!
I heat my oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours ('till the whole goes 'white').
I do have a point and shoot thermometer that I hardly ever use anymore!
Move the fire over, sweep the floor, and let the oven floor temp even out (funny how it averages out to 750 degrees every time I decide to check it!)
Sweep again, and start cooking!
Don't get the wrong idea guys, but I find most of the modern technology that all of the genius engineers on this forum feel the need to incorporate, completely useless in the long run. It's basically a hot igloo that you could throw a snow tire in it, and it'll come out delicious! OK, don't cook the snow tire but you get the idea!
No disrespect guys, put whatever you feel you need, but my point is, don't worry that this is 'rocket science', follow the FB Pompeii plans as close as possible, and you got a great oven!
I wish you nothing but the best!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Journeyman

ok ok ok My MAJOR reason for the numerous thermocouples has more to do with boys and their toys than baking bread! I do want the information from the thermocouples to know when the oven is heat saturated and ready to bake. Also want to track if I need a second firing how long do I need to fire to again saturate the entire thermal mass. I am still undecided on the amount of thermal mass. I am at this point tending towards laying the hearth bricks on their sides for a thicker floor mass. Not sure How I will increase the dome mass as of yet. Oh well! That is one of the reasons I didn't push building the dome at the end of the year. That and the fact I was afraid I wouldn't finish before mother nature put in a stop work order! LOL I did make a couple of loaves of twisted rye & pumpernickel bread which came out great in the electric oven with a stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Fired Ovens in Conneticut!-rye-pumpernickel1_8_11.jpg  

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Apprentice

Awesome bread!
And I understand the refiring thing. The firebrick floor on edge is a great idea and although my floor lies flat with a good 4 to 5 inches of vermiculite/portland under that, I still feel a good warmness under the 4 to 5 inches of concrete under that! So, sometimes I think I should have put my floor on edge, but I'm not really sure as what that would have done for firing times? I really think I added some firing time (I'd say a half hour or so) when I skimmed the dome with heatstop mortar after I saw all the tiny cracks (some not so tiny) when I cured it. (I think I got too excited with the curing fires)
What the heck do I know?!? all I know is when it gets going all hot and white, it cooks like a runaway locomotive! And that's fine with me!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Journeyman

How long are your firing times? And how long does the heat stay retained? General times and temps would be great! It would give me a better Idea of thermal mass.
I guess the cracks ultimately gave you more mass, things happen for a reason! Thanks for all the Info!
btw I LOVE your oven and entire outdoor kitchen, living room complete with fireplace ----WOW----!!!!!!!! You're entire area came out spectacular!

Photos:

Oven Blog: