Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Northeast US (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f48/)
-   -   Pompeii OVens in MA? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f48/pompeii-ovens-ma-16201.html)

djginivisian 06-25-2011 06:59 PM

Pompeii OVens in MA?

Does anyone out there know of any Pompeii style ovens in MA? I am poised to begin the project, but gun-shy to begin mixing mortar without first speaking to local owners/builders of such ovens. Any names, locations, tips are appreciated.

djg

victorsee 06-27-2011 12:38 PM

Re: Pompeii OVens in MA?

hello djg,
I have poured a base, and hearth, and getting ready for next steps.. all in Vineyard haven. Where are you in Mass? Happy to compare notes as we go. I found a supplier in Mass for insulating blanket.
Victor C

djginivisian 07-01-2011 07:34 AM

Victor,
We are in Marblehead (NorthShore).
Thanks for contacting me. Do you have any pics, and/or insight from your project so far?

David G.

dlebla 07-01-2011 10:20 AM

I'm also in Mass but have not started my oven, but I have found places to source all material. If you need help with anything let me know and I can give you some of the suppliers I have found. I plan on starting mine up either in the fall or next spring, need to finish a few things up before I start this project.

victorsee 07-01-2011 06:13 PM

ooops dnt mean to send the last message before crrecting spelling and completing.. oh well technology got ahead of me..

My 'insight' so far.. is .. if you are not experienced with this stuff.. lay out the plan.. a model first.. take it in small steps that ae correctable.. i.e.. before mixing the vermiculite cement today.. i tried 2 different approaches in a very small batch to see what it was like ( i read about each approach in the forum.. I found for example, that the advice.. I read that said.. mix the portland cement oin the water.. then add the vermiculite to the liquid.. worked better for me than dry mixing the cement and vermiculite then adding water..

victorsee 07-01-2011 06:15 PM

dleba.. where will this masterpiece be anchored?
Myoven is in Vineyard haven.. or.. more accurately.. 'emerging' there.hat sort of supplies are you talking about? in mass? where?

gsuter 07-19-2011 02:30 AM

DJG, I'm building a 42" oven in central ma. I'm getting close to finishing the dome. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. I don't have any masonry experience, but I'm happy with the results thus far.

Gsuter :)

peterf 08-02-2011 04:06 PM

I have done masonry off and on for over 30 years. Happy to answer any questions. I have never built a pizza oven with all these specs though. I have contemplated building one but even my masonry suppliers around here laugh when I ask about "medium duty" fire brick...I have no idea where to get this sort of brick...probably some refactory supply place near the steel mills of the heartland.

peterf 08-03-2011 06:02 AM

Where did you get your fire brick?

dlebla 08-03-2011 04:42 PM

I'm in Waltham and hopefully my build will start this fall when we get some cooler weather.

Victor, your on the vineyard or just on the cape? My buddy lives in Mashpee.

Gsuter, where in central MA are you?