Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Northeast US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pennsylvania oven builders

Hodgey...w.r.t to "appreciated property value"...I showed a photo of my WFO to a realtor friend of mine...his reaction was "Wow! That will increase the value of your property by $5000 easy!"....

Being that I spent about $2500.....'twas a good investment.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Journeyman

I'd have to say that's a great ROI ! Not many hobbies/passions can do that. The pizzas I turned out of my WFO last night were as good if not better than what I remember eating as a kid at the brick oven pizza shop near are home in NJ. I feel like that in its self make the investment worth it.

Chris
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Serf

JeepPiper--have you posted how to roast coffee? I'd love to know. What great Christmas presents! (Found it...great discussion...looking forward to it!)

Been busy around here but all is good. You name it, we've tried it. Tomorrow is a 13 lb top round that is a practice run for a future party. We've done a lot of beef so we are ready. I hope.

Finally got a good deep dish by par-baking the crust. And, our secret cheese combination--cooper sharp and fontina with a little parm. Seriously good. Add smoked bacon and it's heaven out of the oven!

We have done a bunch of turkeys leading up to Thanksgiving and find it pretty easy given a thermometer, timer, and one of those popups. And constant surveillance. We haven't mastered the different temperatures needed for different dishes so doing the whole meal might be tough (not to mention cold outside). High temp roasted potatoes and salmon (three minutes) work great.

As for the investment, well, my will has changed a bit and anyone who wants to see their share needs to come for dinner on the porch. Life is good.

Last edited by Pat R; 10-30-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Journeyman

Pat
I will have to see my attorney soon. The WFO should only go to someone in the family that's going to appreciate it! I might have to look outside the family, none of mine has shown the interest in making only eating.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Serf

I've been lucky. I've got a nephew, a son, and a host of friends who like the fire thing. My son has just moved home and would cook out there every night.

My biggest problem was getting them to believe a pizza only takes 90 seconds!
Quote:
Pat, your oven is too hot.
--eyeing a burned pizza.
Quote:
Guys, count to 45, seriously, try it!
Pat goes out and buys a timer.

Maybe my biggest problem is how much increase there is to my food budget and how that translates to increases on the scale!

Yes, the oven has to go to someone who appreciates it. Could be joint custody at this point!