Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Northeast US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 AM
Serf

Default Re: Pennsylvania oven builders

We have had so much fun trying things. Today was bread day but it's a little damp out so we can wait for the weekend.

We've tried all kinds of dough from Pillsbury cans to wegmans to trader joes to, the best, from scratch. Everything goes well until someone wants to pile on the toppings. So I have to say 'keep it simple' over and over.

The hardest part is getting the dough to stretch out and stay there. Been reading a lot about it and getting better.

The oven holds heat well so I have to plan on a roasting the next day. So far we've done a prime rib (my friend thought he was funny handing it to me for my first attempt--I didn't leave the oven!), big rolled pork shoulder to pull apart, ribs, three whole chickens at one time, butterflied lamb (least successful) and an apple pie.

Best dessert: Pillsbury crescent rolls (not low fat please) spread with mascarpone, sprinkled with shaved chocolate, add a strawberry half and roll. We put them on a pizza pan and it takes less than a minute in the oven.

Worst dessert: On a store bought tube of dough, the kids put broken up chocolate, red dots, sweet tarts, and fruit rollups on top. I rolled it up because I didn't want all that stuff running in the oven. People actually ate it. Or they took some and it landed in the garbage. Going to steer clear of candy pizza.

It would be nice to get together to share ideas. I mentioned to Don at Stravinos that they should start a group. He knows of someone in the valley who is doing a build.

Get in touch if you'd like to stop by. I plan to post pictures next week.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Serf

Hi everyone,
just signed onto the forum and was wondering if the showrooms listed by forno bravo have ovens on display for me to see. I am interested in the Toscano and the Artigiano models. I am located in lower bucks county and see there are a few places in jersey not far from me.
tom
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Journeyman

Welcome Fire-n-smoke! I have never seen a showroom for ovens...
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagored154 View Post
Are there any PA oven builders and users out there? I am in Perry county and am in the process of building.
I'm nearing completion of a 42" Pompeii WFO in NW Pa "Crawford County". The link to my photo album is below.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...nsylvania.html
Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

Hodgey, Beautiful build !!! and nice job on the dome too (I wish my dome looked that good). I think 16 weeks is pretty respectable....mine took about 9 months to build (weekends and evenings). Once you have it fired up and making pizza's, and the roof is on, then the pressure is off so you can take your time dressing it up..
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the kind words Jeeper. It's been a labor of love-hate. I've been feeling lazy since getting the roof on but it seemed like all I did this summer was build. Oh, and because of all the rain, also mowed alot of grass. The pizzas that are coming out of the WFO are paying real dividends, couldn't be much happier. Can't wait to start baking some bread this fall.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Journeyman

Awesome Pizzas are just the beginning....you will need to accessorize your WFO. Get yourself one of those cast iron Tuscan grills and you will have the best steaks you can imagine. Get some ceramic cookware and you can cook entire holiday meals in your oven. I even made a coffee roaster and now roast my own coffee beans. Every morning I now wake up to the best dang coffee in the state!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Journeyman

Wow thats cool, roasting coffee! Hmmm, now I have something else to explore and enjoy. We've been grinding fresh beans with a burr and French pressing every morning for years, cant wait to try roasting my own.

Now when people say " you spent what? And how long?To make pizza? Whats your ROI ?" I now can say "it also roast coffee!!! So there! Some people dont get it, they'd rather eat a cardboard Dominos and go to Starbucks then possible learn to do it on there own.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Laborer

If they ask about ROI they just don't get it I am now down to about $100.00 a pizza based on the initial investment
Old 09-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Journeyman

You have to keep in mind the appreciated value of your home with a custom built WFO in the back yard, priceless !!!