Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Northeast US (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f48/)
-   -   building my first brick opven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f48/building-my-first-brick-opven-19160.html)

pizzaobsessed 04-01-2013 03:36 PM

building my first brick opven

First time doing any kind of forum just curious is everyone on this forum a forno bravo owner or do some of you have a handmade oven?

Coloradoredusa 04-01-2013 05:42 PM

Re: building my first brick opven

I speak for myself, but I think there are many builders here and some fb oven owners.

stonecutter 04-01-2013 05:51 PM

Maybe a poll is in order. I think you will find it pretty diverse in here as far as what people do or don't do. What I think we ll agree on though is that cooking with wood and fire are awesome.

pizzaobsessed 04-02-2013 08:05 AM

My back yard is 70% concrete and 30% garden and i was originally planning to build my oven right on top of the cement but after seeing the weight of these ovens i dont know if i am going to have to build a proper reinforced slab in the garden area just to be safe , I know there is no rebar in the cemented area only wire

stonecutter 04-02-2013 08:43 AM

What is your plan for the oven? What size? Finishes?

pizzaobsessed 04-02-2013 09:35 AM

Id 36x40 fire brick low dome maybe 14 or 15 inches strictley for pizza, least mortor as possible and plan to use dense ridgid insulation board underneith and around sides completly enclosed with either block or wonderbaord. thats the plan any ideas

pizzaobsessed 04-02-2013 10:09 AM

Also I dont plan on going with the round design I like the half barrel design for lack of a better word. I feel there is more room yes, no?

Gulf 04-02-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaobsessed (Post 149343)
My back yard is 70% concrete and 30% garden and i was originally planning to build my oven right on top of the cement but after seeing the weight of these ovens i dont know if i am going to have to build a proper reinforced slab in the garden area just to be safe , I know there is no rebar in the cemented area only wire

There are some options out there, If you determine that your concrete area will not handle the weight. You might want to look into a concrete wet saw rental in your area. The saw in my quick search link is a small one. There are larger saws available with more umph :D.

Shop around for the best deal :).

david s 04-02-2013 04:28 PM

Another slab laid over your existing concrete should suffice as it will spread the load cutting and removing concrete is a pain..How big/heavy an oven are you planning?

Gulf 04-02-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 149374)
Another slab laid over your existing concrete should suffice as it will spread the load cutting and removing concrete is a pain..How big/heavy an oven are you planning?

David,
You may be right on this. I would do the same as you suggest in my subtropical climate. But, this oven is in an area of "frost heave". Not my area of expertise. Maybe some one from the arctic will chime in :).