Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: building my first brick opven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
David,
You may be right on this. I would do the same as you suggest in my subtropical climate. But, this oven is in an area of "frost heave". Not my area of expertise. Maybe some one from the arctic will chime in .
You are correct Gulf, slab over slab is not a good technique in the Northeast. (I lived in CT until a few years ago) This slab is most likely 4", and cutting out footers wont be that big of a problem...compared to the effort of doing it over.

Edit: It might be worth checking the depth of your concrete...you might have a 6" slab, that would work with what you are doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-02-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Serf

The oven will not be that big maybe 36"x40"outside diam but together with the concrete blocks (which i plan on filling the core as well) and the concrete base its gonna be heavy maybe that big base is an overkill,the base will actually be heavier than the oven itself, I see alot of ovens on metal bases if I can do that then i can set it wherever I want right?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No question that the masonry used for the base is heavier than the oven, but you are still going to need support for the oven itself with some type of platform.

If you are going the steel route, maybe think about framing out the platform with steel joists 16" o.c. with cement-board on that, then your insulation...on to your firebrick. That would shave quite a bit of weight off the structure itself. And rather than four legs resting on directly on the slab, consider a sill with support legs to distribute the weight.

Basically, a skeletal base made of steel. I'm thinking 2" square stock. This is all theoretical..I have never built one like this...take it with a grain of salt.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin