Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Central US

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Serf

Default Re: Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

Called the Building Dept. on Friday.
There are no set rules for the foundation (either 42" slab, or floating one, or floating connected to the pears).
What is important is that the slab has to be 12", with at least 4" of gravel underneath, and it has to extend 6" in all directions from the edge of the structure.

Just recently the City changed their rules. Now you need permits even for water heater, softener, furnace, etc. installations. Seems not really enforceable rules...

Thanks everyone for leads and ideas!
-Alec
Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
the slab has to be 12", with at least 4" of gravel underneath, and it has to extend 6" in all directions from the edge of the structure.
That's serious overkill. Those are the dimensions of below grade footings, for masonry fireplaces with stories-high chimneys, except those are poured on undisturbed earth. That's a LOT of concrete for any freestanding backyard structure.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec&Elena View Post
Called the Building Dept. on Friday.
......snip......Seems not really enforceable rules...

Thanks everyone for leads and ideas!
-Alec
When you sell, your buyer's Lendor will require a home inspection before closing (the inspector will go to the city and look at every permit ever pulled for your home).

A good inspector will catch many things and you will be forced to address any nonconformance with the code (an inspector's report is frequently used to reopen negotiations about price, and it does not go up).

Sometimes Banks refuse a loan based on a trusted inspector's report. As a practical matter, that is how it gets enforced if the compliance people miss something.

That slab requirement is really overbuilt, but, you'll have to please those people. Building codes in general are good things....In my view, that particular reading of the code is an illustration incompetancy and/or government run amuck.

Good luck with your oven construction.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Serf

I built a 5' by 6' slap in Elmhurst, IL and had to dig a 4' by 1' trench around the perimeter. In Elmhurst there are no codes directly related to Brick Ovens but they had a outdoor fireplace go in about a month earlier, I got the same treatment. Because of the shape/elevation of my yard, I dug the foundation by hand. A lot of work but worth it. Do not do anything without a permit! I know of a person in Westmont that built an outdoor kitchen with Brick oven without a permit. A building inspector heard of this and had the whole thing torn down... He had to rebuild with permit. There are other codes that you need to be aware of as well, thinking of easements and distance from other structures. Take a look at my oven under quiltman and you can see. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.
-John
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
A building inspector heard of this and had the whole thing torn down... He had to rebuild with permit.
They cant do that thankfully in Melbourne, they have to take you to VCAT where you can appeal and get a retrospective permit.

Besides that, all the building inspectors here are now all subcontractors so dont give a hoot.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Peasant

My experience was pretty good.

I had the inspector at the house. He took a look at what I planned to do, stated that since the slab wasn't attached to the house or any structure, since I was removing an old stone patio and replacing it with poured concrete, and that the oven qualified as a "barbeque", I didn't need a permit. :-D
Old 05-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Naperville, IL code. Foundation question.

I'd say you handled that very well. Congratulations!
Its good to see some sense exercised in your case. Did he have any additional advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
My experience was pretty good.

I had the inspector at the house. He took a look at what I planned to do, stated that since the slab wasn't attached to the house or any structure, since I was removing an old stone patio and replacing it with poured concrete, and that the oven qualified as a "barbeque", I didn't need a permit. :-D

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Peasant

No real advice except to try to be helpful & not hostile.

He was at the house & I was working with him because we were redoing a bathroom that had to be stripped down to the studs. The guy was real up-front and very helpful, giving me lots of "do's" and "don'ts" and good suggestions with the bathroom... we needed his help because the space is only 5' x 8' with windows and doors placed in weird places.

While he was in, I took him out in the backyard and showed him what we wanted to do - remove an old limestone patio that had decayed, remove an old woodburning BBQ, pour a 15' x 25' patio slab and put up a woodburning oven in the corner. He's a former contractor so I asked him for suggestions. He asked me who was doing the slab & some details on it, and then told me that so long as I didn't a) connect it to a structure or b) wire it or add gas heating, I didn't need a permit.

(I've heard through the grapevine, though, that if you build something and don't ask first with an attitude of "I don't need a stinkin' permit", this guy will come down HARD.)

FWIW, the slab is 4" with 1' of reinforced concrete on the edge. I'm on an old sand bar, so drainage is pretty good.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Like every profession, they bad ones give them all a bad reputation. Glad to here you've had a good experience.
Sad to say, we still have an ass in my town. Homeowners, contractors, new business owners...he is a prick to everyone. I know of 2 contractors who refuse to do work in our town because of the BS permits, inspections, and fines. I honestly believe he is the largest revenue stream for the city. Everyone gets a stop work order and a fine at some point in every project.
Most recent example is a young, newly married couple who just moved in around our circle. They decided to remove a small oak tree (and I was to be the beneficiary of the wood), cut off all of the upper branches and didn't know what to do. I offered to cut down the remainder, MR. Code Enforcement got there before I did with my saw, issued a stop work and fined them for not pulling a tree removal permit. They now have a $150 fine, still need to pull a permit (another $45), and have him inspect when finished. All for the removal of an ornamental sized oak tree (maybe 10" trunk diameter and 15' tall).
Its absurd that you can't remove any tree over 6" diameter OR replace your toilet/faucet/sink without pulling a permit.
OK, I'm done venting and yes, I'm pissed because my future firewood is now in limbo.

RT
Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Journeyman

RT- I understand about the tree permit. I am an arborist in California and we have many rules. I depends on the city, but rules are rules, you can't take out a protected tree with out some sort of oversite. People know (your neighbors) when you are removing a tree in your neighborhood. I know it sucks, but it's a big deal if your neighbor removes a big tree that separates 2 houses.

Mike

Tags
code, foundation, naperville, slab