Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Detroit Pizza Oven

Mark,

Did you get my email with my phone number. I would be happy to show you my oven.

By the way, I looked up the Bronx Deli. I love a corned beef special almost as much as pizza. I will be stopping in.

Phil
Old 05-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Master Builder

Zuccato,

Clever use of the dog house. How are you going to tear it out of the dome when you are done?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Serf

Phil,

I didn't see your email ,maybe it went to spam. Could you PM me in this forum.

Also I have a question about curing, do you do the fire routine before or after you put on the thermal blanket?

Marc
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM
Serf

Phil ,

Trust me my corned beef is top notch you won't be disaponted! Ask for me if you come in.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Peasant

Marc,

I used Plibrico Super Demon pre-mixed mortar. I got it from a guy in Brighton (Michigan Refractory). People on the forum had a lot of negative opinions of this stuff. (see Refractory Mortar Poll). This stuff never actually hardens so it is never waterproof. I had a lot of conflicting advice from bring it up slowly to build a towering inferno and fire hard from the start. I decided to bring it up slow before I put the insulating blanket and insulation layer on and then started all over again once the insulation layer was in place. It took a little longer but I felt a little better about it when I was done. By the way. The Super Demon Mortar was great for the building process. Always ready to use and the bricks stuck great to it. Since I covered it with a vercrete insulating layer I wasn't too concerned about it not being waterproof. Now that I have been using the oven for 9 months I see no negative effects of using that mortar. So long story short, to cure the oven I would bring it up slowly after you pot on the insulating layer.

Phil
Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Serf

Phil,

How big is your oven? The wife and I live in Farmington and are in the planning stages, so I'm trying to wage what I can fit in the yard and heat/recovery times.
We should plan some kind of Detroit oven tour. I've only been reading on here intently for a week or so but I think there are 6-8 people with ovens.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Peasant

I build a 36" oven. You can see a slide show of the build on you tube Phil's Wood Fired Oven Project.wmv - YouTube . I think a tour of Detroit would be fun!

Phil