Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Central US (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f47/)
-   -   '00' flour in Wisconsin? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f47/00-flour-wisconsin-15286.html)

dbhansen 01-28-2011 10:22 AM

'00' flour in Wisconsin?

If anyone knows of a source for type '00' pizza flour (e.g. Caputo), in bulk, in Wisconsin or nearby (e.g., Chicago), please share! I've been searching for a source where I can pick it up and avoid shipping costs.

GotRocks 01-28-2011 01:47 PM

Re: '00' flour in Wisconsin?

Greco and Sons distributing in Milwaukee and Chicago, They do have a will-call dock for pick up.

Maybe I should ask if this is commercial or home use? Becuase 50# bags might be a little to much for just home use.
You can get another brand of 00 grind flour from Glorioso's deli on Brady Street. I think Grano is the brand name.

About Mid July, I hope to have a Professionale 120 in my restaurant in Minocqua, so if you get up this way I could do a few pounds here and there if needed.

You may be able to get a few pounds from Pizzeria Piccalo on Tosa (76th & State) if they are using Caputo (I do not know what they are using) but they do advertise as making authentic Neapolitan pies So chances are they are using the good stuff

dbhansen 01-28-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I'm hoping to find a 25# bag (or so) for home use, but I could do 50# if necessary (we do lots of pizza parties anyway). Thanks again.
- Daren

mfiore 01-30-2011 03:37 PM

For what ever it's worth, I had no problems burning through a 50 lb bag last summer (home use)

dbhansen 01-31-2011 06:49 AM

So where did you get yours, Mike?

GotRocks 01-31-2011 08:43 AM

Now if you tell me your a Yooper, I may need to find a valid reason to visit and help you go through some flour

stonylake 01-31-2011 01:01 PM

db, check out Gordan Food Service Marketplace. i think they have a store in Rockford, Il. Escanaba or Marquette, Mi if you are a Yooper. Gordon Food Service - Food Service Distributor & Products - GFS.com it's worth a call..

stonylake 02-01-2011 09:20 AM

I stopped by GFS this morning to pick up a Prime Rib for Superbowl and checked out the flour aisle while I was there. they have 2 brands of High Gluten flour, Bouncer and Primo Gusto. $12.00 for 25#... I don't know if either is considered "00". i will pick up a bag of the Primo Gusto the next time i need pizza flour...

mfiore 02-02-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotRocks (Post 107083)
Now if you tell me your a Yooper, I may need to find a valid reason to visit and help you go through some flour

No, I'm not from the Upper Peninsula. I guess the Yoopers call us "trolls" (ie - we live below the bridge).

I live in an area without a lot of good resources. I was able to track down some Caputo 00, however. There is an excellent wine shop in town. He does not carry much as far as food products, but does have a small selection of cheese and cured meats. I had the owner over for pizza one day (it's never a bad idea to become friends with the owner of a good wine shop!). We talked about the pizza making, the flour, etc. It turns out that even though he doesn't sell these products (flour, etc), his cheese is provided by a food distributer and has access to a large array of foods other than what's in his store. One quick phone call, and the guy threw the flour into his next shipment of cheese.

I think it's worth inquiring at any type of food store or deli. They may not carry the flour regularly because it is not a demand item, but if you are willing to pay ahead of time, I'm sure they might be able to order it.

sholding 04-21-2011 10:22 AM

I know this is late - but I was able to buy a 50# bag of 00 at Fraboni's in Madison by special order. The owner is great to work with. (Steve Fraboni).