Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Western US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: San Diego: need installer

Agreed on the homebrew. Easy to use. Easy to mix. Extremely low cost. Hard as a rock.

Bill
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Serf

Default Re: San Diego WFO

Thanks, Bill. Today is a great day to pick up from where I stopped. Will re-cast vent transition using home brew 3111 (sand-clay-portland-lime) formula. Will use these for the soldiers, et. al. Thanks or your response.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Journeyman

A nice trick on the homebrew mixing I picked up here is to use those plastic red solo cups for mixing.

I set up my mixing area in a corner of my garage. Four bags in a row sitting on the floor. Sand, portland, lime, clay. Each bag had a red solo cup sitting in it. Table sitting in front of the bags with bucket on the table. three cups sand, and one cup of each of the others.

My ratio of water to that was just about 1.5 solo cups of water...adjusted somewhat depending on humidity. Go outside to add water and mix.

That was very clean, very easy, and extremely repeatable...and just the right amount to do in one batch. As I got better toward the end and was faster, when I knew I had a nice chunk of time to work I'd double the recipe.

Bill
Mario Borja likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bill,

How far, how far could you get before you were out of mortar? I was tempted to ask how many rows but since the number of bricks and the size change this isn't particularly helpful.

How long before it was too set and not usable?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 01-29-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Journeyman

Chris,

I was pretty darn slow compared to some around here. The single batch of mortar would, for me, stay good about an hour...maybe an hour and a half. Obviously, if I was putting down full size bricks on an easy stretch say...a side wall (remember I did a barrel vault), I'd go through the mix in thirty minutes or so. Ditto if I was doing the low parts of the arch where I could go pretty fast, and where there is a pie-shaped wedge of mortar between the bricks, I'd go through it pretty fast. But even there I was pretty slow because rather than do the "normal" arch of three or four separate courses, I followed the advice of Al (brickie in oz) and Tom (Tscarborough) and did my arched roof in a staggered bond. That was a definite learning curve for me and slowed me down somewhat on the arched roof, but I'm glad i did it.

Where I was doing chimney arch or entrance work, I was very slow. The stuff would start setting up in an hour or so on a warm day. But the nice thing about homebrew is that you can re-hydrate and stir to some degree. I'd never go over ninety minutes on a batch though. On hot days I'd be sure to keep my bucket out of the sun when possible.

Bill

Last edited by WJW; 01-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Serf

Chris,

I have been out of the oven loop for some time due to work on my sakman outrigger canoe (47' long). Back on track now to finish my oven. I have the catenary dome ready for home brew mortar mix. I am working out the numbers for the flue size. Using an 8" Diam flue, my ratio of Area of Flue to Area of Door (12' radius) comes out to .222. This is twice the minimum of .10; I am ok with th 8" flue.

Last edited by Mario Borja; 11-30-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The 8" I.D. flue should be fine. I have a 43" Pompeii and use 8". I keep thinking that I'll add another foot of height to the chimney, I'm currently at 3 feet. I don't get much smoke, but the added foot would eliminate that little bit that happens in the first 30 minutes of start up.

Chris