Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Low cost materials

DrG.

You are most welcome. It was nice to meet you.

I still have some materials to gather for the tandoor. I'm trying to locate a clay insert or a local ceramist to make one for me. Failing that, I'll get one of the big terracotta pots from HD and generally follow Musa's build.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Journeyman

That is too funny as I am considering making a Tandori as well! Great minds think alike

Follow my build
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Bob!

You making a tandoor? Too cool! I was thinking (dangerous activity for me, I know) about using leftover firebrick to build one once my oven is completed. What do you think of the idea of insulated 3" thick walls, built Pompeii-style without the hassle of angles and outside gaps?
John
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Journeyman

Hi John,

I'd like to know more about your idea and design. I haven't started construction so am open to a wide range of possibilities and materials for mine. Maybe a new thread would attract others to comment and provide input.

Ideally though, the beauty of a tandoor style oven is the smooth, seamless, clay insert that allows you to cook traditional naan bread. A modified flower pot is a good substitute for a clay insert because the surface is smooth and seamless too.

I have a contact in India where tandoor ovens are common. I'll ask for his thoughts on building one for home use.

Cheers,

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Serf

Is the indispensable tool still available?
If its for 42" I'll gladly pay for shipping to Boston
Victor C
Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Journeyman

Hello Victor, Everyone,

All the items are gone now.

View my oven #2 photos for an idea how to make a simple indispensable tool. You don't even need to use threaded rod. After I adjusted it to 18" for the radius of my oven then I didn't change it at all. A simple piece of 1" x 2" lumber with a hinge and bolt are all you really need. I added a metal lip so I could carry the correct angle to the brick while the mortar set. It only needs to make one rotation around the oven so even the center point fastener doesn't need to be complicated.

Cheers,

Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Journeyman

A company in Temp has FREE vermiculite (with some plaster in it.) Here is their Craigslist Posting:

vermiculite

Happy Hunting

Follow my build
Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Serf

C5Dad, Thanks for the tip; I just emailed an inquiry. Bob sold me some Kiln insulating blocks I plan to use under the Hearth; the Vermiculite would be great of insulating around the dome! After I talk to the CL poster; I'll post up and let everyone know how much he has and how frequently they have it.