Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Western US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

The warmth stayed for two days, though the insulation was kicking out tons o water - 5 bags of pearlite x about 7 gal water (each bag) = 35 gallons water = 292 lb water. I think it will take some time to really cook the water out. Thank goodness for low humidty levels in the desert!

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Peasant

First pizzas today!!! Happy with the results for the first go round, after it cools a bit the sour dough is going in.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Journeyman

Looking good. How was the heat management portion? You will be blowing out a lot of water from the vermiculite for a bit.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Peasant

Heat was pretty good, the floor stayed 6-700F while I was doing pizza. Seemed to dissipate quicker than I would have hoped but I didn't fire it fully because a lack of wood. But I got a half cord of pecan this morning and am going to go all out this weekend for super bowl! Going to have about 15 people here so it will definitely be a trial by FIRE....
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Journeyman

You may want to do another burn on Fri/Sat to get the oven prepped and warmed up and practice a few things prior to the game - like I am forced to practice wings saturday to get ready for the game - do not want to mess up a critical item

Follow my build
Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Journeyman

Chris,

That is so funny....."forced" LOL. I'm sure you don't need any excuses to light up the dragon. I'm always planning something with my oven so's I can toss in logs and enjoy the experience. Maybe it is the "pyro" in me. Lately I've been experimenting with pallet poplar, oak, palo verde and mesquite. I like the mesquite since it adds long lasting embers and a great aroma.

Cheers,

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Journeyman

After swapping a computer for mesquite, I dont know if I could go to anything else, barring pecan. The coals are so damn long lived. Plus I just love the smell of the mesquite. Lastly, since I also run a smoker (oh, did I hear pulled pork also this weekend) there is not a worry about having the right stuff. I am so glad that I have a Costco and Sams so close to the house for supplies. Since firing up the oven, I have used 10 pounds of cheese alone! Now for some good supplies, I got to look a little harder.

Follow my build
Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Journeyman

Definitely check out the fresh mozzarella at Gilbert Pizza since you're right here in Gilbert. Delicious, homemade, and no more expensive than the stuff I buy at Trader Joe's.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Laborer

Man, you guys are killing me! It is hard to see you guys firing your up while I am still trying to finish mine lol. Btw...the ovens look great.

Have you guys tried to make you own mozzarella yet? It is amazingly easy, quick, and tastes better than anything that I have been able to buy. You can basically make it for the cost of a gallon of milk and it will give you about a pound of cheese.

Btw....I am just a little further SE of you guys and thanks for the tips on the materials and ingredients!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

I'd like to try making my own mozzarella, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm spoiled with Gilbert Pizza's homemade stuff for sale right across the street, under a mile from my house. ;-) Do you have a book or website with directions you recommend?