Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Western US

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Peasant

Default Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

Finished my cladding today and began the roof, going to burn the form out and start curing next weekend!:-)

Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Journeyman

Looking good. Can't wait to see the bread results. I have been using Peter Reinharts Breadmaker Apprentice this last week and am impressed with the results - the Sicilian is excellent!!

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Apprentice

Looks great! My vermicrete is cured and I'm looking forward to getting my dome started. But I promised my wife that I'd lay slate on the patio before I start on the oven again, so I'm held up a bit. Only 350 more feet of slate to set, though.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azatty View Post
Looks great! My vermicrete is cured and I'm looking forward to getting my dome started. But I promised my wife that I'd lay slate on the patio before I start on the oven again, so I'm held up a bit. Only 350 more feet of slate to set, though.

Ouch that sucks, I am like an impatient little kid with my oven. Sunday cant come fast enough, but I also have a goal of superbowl Sunday for a completion date so I need to get cracking!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Journeyman

Hey Gang,

If any one has a wireless PC card - 802.11g for a desktop with the rear antenna, let me know, I know a guy who, if he cannot score one, will swap firewood!

I got some mesquite from him (bartered a computer for wood) and it is burning well this morning. I love the fact that this stuff is really fragrant - but we will see if my wife agrees

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Peasant

Quote:
I got some mesquite from him (bartered a computer for wood) and it is burning well this morning. I love the fact that this stuff is really fragrant - but we will see if my wife agrees
That's cool, mesquite is definitely fragrant, is that for your pizzas? I am looking for a cheap source of wood because next weekend is going to be the 1st round of actual cooking, have some sour dough bread and pizzas planned. Maybe even a lasagna.

Here are some pics of my 1st and 2nd fires. The inside cooking dimension wound up being 33 inches deep from the very back of the door and 36 inches wide.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Journeyman

Oh the curing fires. Hard to have to wait!

Call Thomas at 480-203-4760.

He is a nice guy and somewhat chatty. This is just a side thing for him (he has a small engine repair shop), but has a lot of wood. Located at Bell and 51 by PV hospital.

There are others out there down in Guadalupe/Tempe.

CW

p.s. my wife said she likes that barter thing - computers for wood! I have plenty to last me a few burnings

Follow my build

Last edited by C5dad; 01-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Peasant

^^^^^ thanks for the tip on the wood... Made some good progress on the roof, door, and brick work today. Should be ready to fire up for real next weekend. How did your mesquite cooking turn out?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Journeyman

Many good pizzas and too hot for a roast. I heated the oven for about 8 hours yesterday to aide in drying the insulation. I closed the oven using large bricks and will check it when I get home tonight - interested in how hot it still is!!

Mesquite is an excellent hot wood - my arm hairs will attest to that!

Follow my build
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Peasant

So how did the insulation work for you? Still pretty warmm in there the next day?
I lit my first real fire yesterday but havent recieved my laser thermo in the mail yet so dont know how hot it got in there. Felt like 500 plus from the door but I dont want to speculate.