Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Where to buy in or around Toronto, Canada ?

I haven't used anything to support them yet. I'm pretty close to horizontal, but the mortar holds the 1/3 bricks in place pretty well.... Hope to close the dome this weekend, time & weather permitting...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Peasant

More recent purchases were some insulating ceramic blankets again from Alphatherm and a flue from Webster & Son in Mississauga, that make terracotta flues that I hope to enclose with bricks.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Peasant

And as to the Vesuvius holding, I didn't end up using any form at all to keep the bricks in place. Everything was held by the "sticky" version of the vesuvius, up to the keystone, which I used the rubber mallet to hammer into place.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Peasant

Does anyone know a good place to find pizza peels, rakes, brushes etc near Toronto? I'm not tooled/ahndy enough to make my own, so want to buy.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Apprentice

I had lunch in Chinatown today (Spadina & Dundas) and walked up Spadina towards Bloor afterwards. Amazingly, I saw what looked like pretty decent quality peels for sale in a couple of stores there! $16 for a well finished long-handled wooden peel. Just shows you never know what you might find, where, if you keep your eyes open.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Peasant

Yeah - I checked that place (Hap Phong, I think) and it was pretty good. I'm also looking for some of the brushes etc which I could not find there...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Peasant

I got the brush, 2 peels, a cutter, and 6 pizza pans (for forming) for $130 at Nella on Queen/Sackville. Good deal.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Serf

At Nella I found a metal brush/scraper and an aluminum pizza bubble popper. Didn't actually know that it was called this or that that was its intended purpose until I looked at the receipt. I plan to use the hook for moving and spinning various pans in the oven.

My Picasa Photo Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Food Blog that includes posts about the oven build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Serf

Has anyone found pre-mixed stucco in Toronto? It seems that the trend is towards either newer EIFS systems and manufacturers only selling through licensed installers. I've found the Quikrete Quikwall Surface Bonding Cement but want something like Quikrete's Scratch and Brown Base Coat Stucco for the first two coats.

My Picasa Photo Album:

My Food Blog that includes posts about the oven build:
Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food With Legs View Post
Kelly,

Are you using the Vesuvius Super #3000 Mortar from Alphatherm in a black bucket with a red lid? How are you finding the setting time? Are you soaking your bricks before mortaring them?

-David.
Hi!
I have just completed the dome of a 42" oven using this product; Super 3000. I liked it. Very sticky. Did not need any forms. I was dipping the bricks after the wet cuts to clean them, and gluing straight away. The weather has been hot and dry so the extra wetness was necessary.

Now, I await the problems that have been reported with wet pre-mix air dry mortars. I can see shrinkage would be a problem if the bricks are not tapered and fit tight. What else can go wrong?

You can see the progress so far here, Salt Spring 42" Tuscan Oven,
http://picasaweb.google.com/1099385665491055197