Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Where to buy in or around Toronto, Canada ?

Quote:
about $50 per bucket
For oven building, avoid wet pre-mix mortar in buckets. Many problems reported.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Journeyman

Wink Re: Where to buy in or around Toronto, Canada ?

Kelly,

The firebrick vary by area, but it pays to shop. I found prices from $2.40 to $1.07 per brick in the San Diego area. There were some factory seconds that I missed out on that were .25 per brick. Most likely to get best prices at Masonry supply yards
Vermiculite /Perlite ( they are interchangeable) - I found them at Home Depot and Lowes ( big box home improvement centers) about $16 per 2 cu ft bag. Figure out your volume, then add 20% for shrinkage once you add water and Portland cement to save yourself a couple of trips at the last minute.
Good luck

Eric
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Peasant

Thanks. I'm also ordering cement to be delivered which is more expensive, but a good tradeoff personally in terms of time.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Peasant

is there anyone that has built in Toronto proper that has a good source for perlite and fire mortar?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Serf

For vermiculite, just go to a decent size garden center. It should cost around $20 for a large bag.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Peasant

So here's what I've sourced so far:

* mixed concrete for slab: City Ready-Mix (delivered)
* Blocks & mortar for stand: Parliament Building supplies (delivered)
* Concrete for hearth: Home Depot (delivered)
* Perlite: Bustan and East End Garden Centre (pick up)

Last edited by kellytoronto; 06-07-2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: clarify pickup vs. delivery
Old 06-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Peasant

I found two places that do firebrick. One in E. York that delivers (Kreitmaker) and Alphatherm that does not deliver. Prices were comparable between the two, but Alphatherm is far more helpful and responsive. For me, the non-delivery became a non-issue, because I could collect 100 bricks per trip in my Passat wagon, which was more than enough for a week or two of the 20-30 minute bricking intervals I can spare.

I am also using Alphatherm's pre-mixed mortar which has worked very well thusfar.

I am not a big tool guy, so didn't have a great tool with which to cut the bricks. I ended up using my Canadian Tire tile saw which goes on sale at least once per quarter for $49.99. You can't do complicated cuts with it, but so far so good for me.

Also worth noting is that I'm using many of Alphatherm's wedged firebricks. They are more expensive than the normal ones, but they use much less mortar and let you get a more solid, lower dome.

Alphatherm also carries vermiculite for a price lower than East End Garden or Bustan's.

Last edited by kellytoronto; 06-07-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 AM
Serf

Kelly,

Are you using the Vesuvius Super #3000 Mortar from Alphatherm in a black bucket with a red lid? How are you finding the setting time? Are you soaking your bricks before mortaring them?

We've also gotten most of our supplies from Alphatherm and we're pouring our hearth slab this weekend so we're a bit behind you.

Cheers,
-David.

My Picasa Photo Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Food Blog that includes posts about the oven build:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Peasant

That's the one - i started out with the runnier version and am now on the thick one. I've found that it gets hard enough to lay another course in about 2hrs, hard enough to brush against in 24hrs, and hard enough to lean on in 48hrs. I'm not soaking my bricks at all - Elvis recommended against it.

What part of Toronto are you in? I'm working to close the dome this weekend with luck.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Serf

Thanks for the setting time information, Kelly. What are you using to support the bricks in the top courses while you wait for the mortar to set? Even with the thicker premixed do you need to go the exercise ball route?

I live near Yonge and Finch but the oven is being built at the family cottage near Beaverton on Lake Simcoe. Happily, Alphatherm is on the way between the two.

Good luck closing your dome this weekend.

My Picasa Photo Album:

My Food Blog that includes posts about the oven build: