Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

I just think it gives me a better mix. the stuff is really fluid without the vermiculite, but with the vermiculite it makes it more like a thick soup and easier to level. I use a drill with a stirrer attachment for mixing. Folding in the foam is a little difficult, like folding in egg whites.

Results of testing this stuff on attach doc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Foamcrete copy.docx.zip (90.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by david s; 09-15-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Why did you float it in water?
If anything the water would be in contact for a very short time if mixed in a slurry with cement, cement starts the setting process almost straight from the start.
Gudday
Pearlite,vermiculite,pumice,ceramic fibre board etc have a glass like structure. Doesn't melt in water. The tiny air bubbles are left intact.
If the water effect those tiny air bubbles the effectiveness of the insulation degrades
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtwacht View Post
In the old times people also used straw so in a way it will work. It will not work as good as vermiculite though. One of the key things to the insulational properties is not just air, but as small air pockets as possible. The smaller the air pockets, the better. If they peanuts burn away, you will have big air pockets.

How about using Expanded clay aggregate. They are a good alternative. On some of the build video's by Italian masters I have seen them use it and here I have a "wood fired oven shop" that also swears by them.
Lightweight expanded clay aggregate (LECA) is great stuff. I have recently started using some for certan applications. It is way denser and therefore presumably less insulating than perlite or vermiculite. It is however much stronger, so if you are after an insulator that has more strength then this is great stuff. It's also about double the price of perlite or vermiculite, for me at least, so this is another consideration.

Last edited by david s; 09-15-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Lightweight expanded clay aggregate (LECA) is great stuff. I have recently started using some for certan applications. It is way denser and therefore presumably less insulating than perlite or vermiculite. It is however much stronger, so if you are after an insulator that has more strength then this is great stuff. It's also about double the price of perlite or vermiculite, for me at least, so this is another consideration.
Gudday
The materials for making pearlite, vermiculite , ceramic board are non renewable resources. It certainly has a place
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
The materials for making pearlite, vermiculite , ceramic board are non renewable resources. It certainly has a place
Regards dave
It still takes tons of fossil fuel energy to heat perlite, vermiculite or expanded clay to the temperatures required in the processing.Straw with just enough slip (liquid clay mixture) is still probably the most sustainable solution.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It still takes tons of fossil fuel energy to heat perlite, vermiculite or expanded clay to the temperatures required in the processing.Straw with just enough slip (liquid clay mixture) is still probably the most sustainable solution.
Gudday Davids
You right there.... But in your climate just as mine it just would not work.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-15-2013, 05:01 AM
Journeyman

To make insulated bricks didnt they use sawdust in the mix and it burns away leaving air pockets?

or

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/...e3e7a24e_m.jpg
Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Peasant

Thanks for posting that document David. Had not seen it before. Interesting way of testing it on the hotplate. Would be intresting to test more materials that way like airated concrete, superwool, calsil etc. I know by the isolation value's that calsil board is one of the best insulators, but it never tells me if it would be worth the price compared to super cheap airated concrete or the probably even cheaper airated concrete you are making.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtwacht View Post
How about using Expanded clay aggregate. They are a good alternative. On some of the build video's by Italian masters I have seen them use it and here I have a "wood fired oven shop" that also swears by them.
Like most insulators used in Europe they are poor insulators. Put it in a category with Tuff, sand and grog.

Quote:
Yeah, that was me, I use foam all the time. Seems no one else has followed suit with the idea. It's a better insulator than vermicrete and cheaper too. I use it 50/50 with vermicrete now.

/Users/davespizzaovens/Downloads/foam-concrete-18447.html
I've tried, nobody in the US will even consider selling me the stuff without selling me a machine first. I'd really like to see what I can do with it.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE
I've tried, nobody in the US will even consider selling me the stuff without selling me a machine first. I'd really like to see what I can do with it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've been through all that too. Tell the sellers that you already have a foam generator. Making your own foam generator is quite simple. Look at the foamcrete thread and you will see how I built mine. It is quite efficient and cheap to make.