Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Wet refractory mortar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
As noted, the aggregate is to fine for the width of the joints on the backside of the oven. It is designed for 1/16 to 1/8" joints in normal flat laid firebrick. Where you have used it so far it is not a problem. You can actually use it with no worries to lay the dome, but you should come back and fill in the gaps on the backside with refractory containing a larger aggregate.

The wet mortars are also usually water soluble too, so you need to keep the oven covered while under construction.
Wet mortar can be "fattened-up" by adding sand to the mix.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good point, it certainly can, but I would not add more than 20% by volume, and would only use that on the backside for gap filling, not setting.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Serf

I used the Pacific clay seconds on my 40" and they worked perfectly. I was told they were seconds because of color problems although, upon thinking about it, what difference does the color of a firebrick make? I had absolutely no rejects in the 220 I bought for $62.

Lee
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl2sing View Post
I used the Pacific clay seconds on my 40" and they worked perfectly. I was told they were seconds because of color problems although, upon thinking about it, what difference does the color of a firebrick make? I had absolutely no rejects in the 220 I bought for $62.

Lee

So the floor came out alright, meaning bricks were square and flush with each other? I dont care about color as you also stated.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used pre-mix wet, SairSet, and haven't had issues. If I remember correctly so did Splatgirl and she liked it. The plus that I found was it was easy to work with and clean up. It's not as cheap as home brew. If I were to do another dome again Hmmm? I used 3 buckets, but my joint lines are very tight and so I didn't use much mortar. In addition I built an enclosure for the oven to keep it dry.

Chris
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used the wet on the vault with no concerns, but I would possibly hesitate if I were doing an igloo, but even then it is being silly cautious. Unless you envision serious deluge type rainfall often in your oven, it is not a problem.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wonder if the Wet mortar is a portion Liquid Glass, Sodium Silicate? I don't think it would be easy to get these mortars to fail once set and cured. I also feel that the oven really holds itself up. The dome is really self supporting as are the arches. I know that there is lateral thrust at the base of the dome and arches but I don't hear of failures due to this thrust.

In the end wet or dry, your choice.

Chris