Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Vermiculite (Grade #3 or #4)

Gents,

I have spoken to a technical person from the manufacture of perlite and Vermiculite in my area and his recommendations are as follows.

Use #2 vermiculite when mixed with Portland cement (provides a more cohesive, comprehensive strength. "more cement around the particles"
#3 is also great to use but 2 for "better" comprehensive strength.

If using Vermiculite loosely, then #4.

I will keep the both of you updated when I create a thread dedicated to my build. I will aspire in creating an efficient, effective oven (love those two words).

Please keep those thoughts coming. You are the experts in this intimate field of works, so keep feeding me.

Now on to find a size for a barrel oven (any thoughts),so I can break down the costs of all materials and report back to the boss.

Sandro
Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The size of your oven is totally up to you, what you want to cook and how you cook. I'm a fan of small ovens because you use them more frequently, require less materials, cheaper and quicker to build and use less fuel. However if you want to cook a whole pig or bake bread for the whole village you might prefer a large oven.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
The size of your oven is totally up to you, what you want to cook and how you cook. I'm a fan of small ovens because you use them more frequently, require less materials, cheaper and quicker to build and use less fuel. However if you want to cook a whole pig or bake bread for the whole village you might prefer a large oven.
+1 Try to think about what you want, go from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Peasant

Thnkk you Gents,

I have thought about it over and over and I believe the most important item on my list is heat retention. I want the option (I love options) to cook up a pizza, than move on to something else, or wait till the next day + to roast or bake.

I do want an ample size oven for those few times it may be needed for that succulent ???. (whatever....As long as it is big and a great excuse to use the oven) I may even let my neighbor use it, if he behaves.

I have re-read brickie in Oz and WJW threads and I may incorporate a few things from each built into my own (size, insulating bricks, thermocouples (which is a must - Will do further research for a cost effective solution)
My struggle is find a comfortable base within the two size differences of their oven and come up with specs to work with (L, W, internal dome size, door entry L- W (the magical 63%)

Per example (Brickie in Oz) used pavers in the middle of ceramic boards and firebricks to add thermal mass. He used insulating bricks to break the connection between the oven and the supporting structures, easing the heat load, etc.

I can go on but you guys know of the builds: and of course I will work on molding a flue like David's. I do not want to see soothe coming out of the front. I have always seen that as a negative, some may disagree but to each his or her own on that.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Peasant

Gents,

I recently acquired some olden chimney bricks (average 7lbs each).
My thoughts are to use them for the outer arch, brickies thermal mass idea, enclosing the oven for the vermiculite payload or decorative means.

Any better ideas of the best way to utilize them would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on the best method to clean them up a bit, other than scraping the dried mortar off ( I want to keep the aged look)

I have read pics are welcomed, so I added one for the visual fun.

Best regards,

Sandro
Attached Thumbnails
Vermiculite (Grade #3 or #4)-olden-bricks.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Those bricks look pretty clean to me. The best way I found was to use a tomahawk to chip off mortar. It's tough work, but worth it if the bricks are cheap enough.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Those bricks look pretty clean to me. The best way I found was to use a tomahawk to chip off mortar. It's tough work, but worth it if the bricks are cheap enough.
And just a stiff brush (whisk broom) to remove the loose material before laying the brick .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Peasant

Thanks Gents.

PS: Gulf I enjoyed your build, especially the design and implemantions of the damper.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Serf

For ease of use get what you feel comfortable with. For instance, I'm not sure which grade I used but, I used some (and I'm happy with the results). Try not to get to caught up in what you use or you'll end up like me......... Stuck at a stage because you want your oven to be the best it can be ( I'm having trouble sourcing the right products at a price I can afford ). I haven't done a lot with my project of late because of that fact. If I had of made the decision to use solid common bricks instead of committing to use the RIGHT bricks, perhaps my oven would have been finished by now. You're on the best track you could be on......like having your first child, listen to all the advise your given and make a decision that you are comfortable with. The best advise I can give is no matter what type you use just try not to breathe in the dust, you only have one pair of lungs.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Apprentice

Looks like you have a gold mine of old bricks. My old house has a lot of what the old masons described as salmon bricks. I use a dozen or so for the front decorative arch....for what it is worth.

Looking forward to your build. Keep us posted with pics.

jon