Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: S.E. Quensland Suppliers.

We only fire to about 500c max. It is not the temp fired to that is the problem, rather it is the rate of increase that is the damaging factor. As an industry standard the rate of increase is recommended not to exceed 100C/Hr. We push it up at about 300C/Hr and thick refractories like brick don't like it. You are expanding one face while the other hasn't had time to catch up in temp. If you want to be kind to your refractory materials then heat slowly, but who has time to do that. You might get cracks but the thing will still hold together. Fire on!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Serf

I just checked the density of both bricks.
Claypave firebricks weigh 3.4KG
Warwicks bricks weigh 3.8KG
I'm only geussing, but would that mean the warwick brick would hold more heat for longer?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Denser the brick the more heat it can store, but maybe also harder to cut.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Serf

Been busy, busy, busy. Got my bricks from warwick brick works. I have got as far as getting the arches done. Got them finished Monday lunch time just before the rain started. It has been raining non-stop since.

Today is a public holiday in Brisbane, but alas the rain is still here. All I can do is look at a tarp. over the oven. Still, all this rain will help my mortar cure nice and slow. Will have to sit and wait and pray before next Monday when I will lower the wooden supports and see if my arches are going to stay up.

My kids are driving me to distraction with their constant pleas for it to be finished. I'm sure they will get more enjoyment from the oven than myself, which pleases me. father's day in early September and it looks like I'll be getting a "surprise" gift of an oven peel and pizza chopper :-).
Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Apprentice

It is pretty wet for August, isn't it? Make sure you get two pizza peels - you definitely need the square one to place pizzas and the small round one to turn/remove them.
Cheers,
Mick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Serf

Thanks for the tip on the peels. Request has already gone in to "her that decides how my day will be".

Stopped raining. Checked my mortar and it is already pretty solid. Laid it on Monday. Thinking of removing the supports to allow for any settlement that might want to occur between the arches, anyone any thoughts on this?
Is it too soon? I still intend to keep the arches covered.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"you definitely need the square one to place pizzas and the small round one to turn/remove them."
The peel I made has both a point, a flat on the front, yet is still big enough to hold a small (9") pizza but small enough to use as a turning peel too. We usually use a wooden placing peel and the stainless for removing though. The handle is short because my oven is small. The handle needs to be about as long as your oven diameter, so the total tool length = oven diam+ tool head length.
Attached Thumbnails
S.E. Quensland Suppliers.-pa180122.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Laborer

i have a heap off bricks left over if you need some more also i got my rockwool blanket from bellis at coopers plains its rated to 650 and was the cheapest i could find (they supply to the mines)

if you need the number msg me

there on google as well

p.s i got my briscks and fireclay from claypave and a calcium board from bellis

cheers paul doing my render this weekend (if this wind pisses off for a bit)
Old 08-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
The peel I made has both a point, a flat on the front, yet is still big enough to hold a small (9") pizza
Nice peel, David!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Serf

thanks i have been looking for the right insulation for a while now. just talked to them i can get it for $23.20 for a 4m x 600mm role. just not sure how to stick it to the dome and what is a good render mix to go over the insulation?