Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Rock wool as insulator?

Hello everybody
Can any one tell me the difference between mineral wool and rock wool? Actually I could not find insulation stuff suppliers and determined to use the insulation blankets used in refrigerators that I can get from scrap dealers. Is that substance rock wool or mineral wool or what is it? I'm just afraid it burns out if I clad the dome with it.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've used rock wool blanket. It is not quite as good an insulator as ceramic blanket, it is harder to cut and is far more water absorbent.Good for 650 C, it is cheaper than ceramic fibre blanket and is not classed as toxic like some ceramic blanket. Its density is much the same as ceramic fibre blanket and so it doesn't compress when you work vermicrete or cement shell over it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fibertex 650 RW v2.pdf (357.9 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by david s; 02-17-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12spirit View Post
Hello everybody
Can any one tell me the difference between mineral wool and rock wool? Actually I could not find insulation stuff suppliers and determined to use the insulation blankets used in refrigerators that I can get from scrap dealers. Is that substance rock wool or mineral wool or what is it? I'm just afraid it burns out if I clad the dome with it.
Thanks
G'day
Mineral wool is man made fibres.
Fiberglass up to 260C
Rockwool up to 850C
Ceramic up to 1200C
I'll hazard a guess in saying anything used in fridges would not be heat proof in any way. Commercial walk in fridges are usually built of plastic foam sandwich construction. Even domestic ovens do not operate above 300C and that mainly those with a self clean ability.
I don't think either fridges or normal stoves are built for 600C the upper temp expected from a WFO. Including there insulation.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hello everybody
Thanks
Same thing different name. It's what I used in tandem with perlite or vermiculite in all my ovens so far.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I've used rock wool blanket. It is not quite as good an insulator as ceramic blanket, it is harder to cut and is far more water absorbent.Good for 650 C, it is cheaper than ceramic fibre blanket and is not classed as toxic like some ceramic blanket. Its density is much the same as ceramic fibre blanket and so it doesn't compress when you work vermicrete or cement shell over it.
Thank you everybody
david, I did not understand how rock wool blankets do not compress, I mean when used for insulating the floor. Would you clarify more about the vermicrete shell and how it prevents compression?
By the way, is vermicrete the same as vermiculite?

Last edited by v12spirit; 02-17-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Seen a wool carrier catch fire in Singapore harbour, they couldn't put it out due to the water not being able to penetrate the bales . They tried to tug it to sea but it sank in the strait. The water was still boiling a week later when we sailed.
Wools fairly fire resistant , but resistant only , its still organic and will burn.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Master Builder

We are having a major maintenance stop on one of our plants. So today I walked past a truck loaded with rolls of stuff labelled "Firewool". Blankets about 2 inches/50mm thick backed with a foil layer.
Why is it that offcuts of stuff like this never turn up in our salvage yard?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Vermicrete is made by blending Portland cement with vermiculite at the desired ratio to form insulating slabs or cladding.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Wools fairly fire resistant , but resistant only , its still organic and will burn.
Regards dave
The mineral he should be using will not contain organic material, and will not burn. The products I use are made from basalt, and have a melting point of 2150* which is more than sufficient for a WFO. If an oven reaches that point, insulation vitrification is only going to be one of your problems.

Ceramic fiber is usually up to 3200*...it is premium insulation, but mineral wool can be just as effective.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thank you everybody
david, I did not understand how rock wool blankets do not compress, I mean when used for insulating the floor. Would you clarify more about the vermicrete shell and how it prevents compression?
When I said it does not compress that is not quite correct. Both rock wool and ceramic fibre blankets are around the same same density and when used between the inner dome and outside shell are sufficiently dense enough not to compress when working against or over with vermicrete (cement and vermiculite) or cement render. If you used the stuff under the floor it would not be strong enough to resist the weight and would compress, you need something stronger than blanket for that application, preferably cal sil board or 5:1 vermicrete. For my first oven I used fibreglass ceiling insulating bats over the dome and although they worked pretty well, they did not degrade or burn as some people have suggested, they did compress because of their low density which made working over them quite difficult.