Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Required density of fiberboard insulation

Don't jam the floor bricks in too tight. Allow a tiny bit of room for them to expand without forcing out the walls.This is also one of the reasons the floor bricks are best laid without mortar. The other is that it is easier to replace a floor brick if you ever had to.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

Got the floor down and am now planning the wall layout. The sidewalls will be a soldier course with a stretcher course on top of that.

That's a lot of 45 degree cuts...I definitely owe my buddy a few pizza's for the loan of his saw.

A basic idea of how the side wall and back wall will lay out. Time to go buy more bricks. (For anyone who's interested...that's a total of seventy-five bricks there.)

As always...if anyone is hearing alarm bells I'm all ears.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
As always...if anyone is hearing alarm bells I'm all ears.
The soldier course is pointless, they only do it on domes to gain extra height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Journeyman

Why do you say it's pointless Al?

With the floor inside the oven and a soldier course that puts the top of the side walls at about nine inches off the floor. You think that's too high? Why?

I've cooked a total of two pizza's in a friend's oven so I know nothing about the practice other than what I've read. I have not done the calculations but, assuming a nine inch high wall, a relatively flat dome, and a 38 inch wide oven, I'd think I'd get a dome height of around eighteen inches in the center. Following the old 63% rule, that gives me a door height just under 12 inches. Those seem to be the dimensions that I've frequently heard are pretty widely accepted. What is it that you don't like about that?

Also, what wall height do you like and why. The two options I have seen most are either three stretcher courses placed on the floor (7.5 inch side wall), or a soldier course placed on the floor (9 inches). Does the extra 1.5 inches negatively affect performance in some way in your opinion, or is it simply a preference thing for you?

Bill
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just lay stretcher courses, the domers do it to gain height, us vaulters just add extra courses.
Unless you are after the look of a soldier course, of course.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Journeyman

Actually, I do like the look of a soldier course with a stretcher course running accross the top.

And I just went and looked at your build again and you have four stretcher courses which (if my math is correct) is ten inches as compared to my nine. So it seems it's not a height issue as much as it is an issue of personal preference. Assuming that's the case, I'm good with doing what I think looks best. On the other hand, if there's some structural reason for favoring stretcher courses that I (as a complete rookie) am not aware of, I'd like to know that.

Bill
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

And I just went and looked at your build again and you have four stretcher courses which (if my math is correct) is ten inches as compared to my nine.
It was the ruler that gave it away wasnt it?

Quote:
On the other hand, if there's some structural reason for favoring stretcher courses that I (as a complete rookie) am not aware of, I'd like to know that.
Stretcher bond is stronger in that each course is bonded to the course below.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One of the disadvantages of a dome oven is that anything tall can't be placed near a wall. The soldier course helps that by by making the dome taller. For a barrel oven the end walls and side walls are straight so there is no need for the soldier course. It is also what makes the barrel oven a more suitable form for bread baking, you can fit more in.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Journeyman

I understand why a soldier course might be needed in a dome and isn't needed in a BVO. I would have assumed that whether you put down three stretcher courses or a single soldier course wouldn't make any real difference ina BVO, but I just happen to like the look of the course running around the oven.

Al says that a stretcher course is stronger because everything is mortared together. I have no experience in these things but that seems counter-intuative to me. Wouldn't the absence of horizontal joints going up the wall make for a greater load bearing ability when it comes to the sheer force pushing outward as a result of the weight of the arch? If the forces are pushing out, isn't the most likely failure point a horizontal joint?

If not, can someone please explain to me why a stretcher course is stronger in this application as compared to a soldier course?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
If not, can someone please explain to me why a stretcher course is stronger in this application as compared to a soldier course?

Thanks.

Bill
Every 3rd soldier brick will correspond, or very near to, the perpend joint of the stretcher bond going over it, creating a straight joint and weakness.

The ovens are weak enough once heat is applied with out adding to it.