Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Required density of fiberboard insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
Hey Al,

You said to look at how you overcame the sideward thust on your build. I read the whole thread but must have missed something. How did you overcome the stresses?
The sideways thrust was buttressed with the basalt blocks both sides of the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
Required density of fiberboard insulation-gable1.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What did you do to counter the expansion of the arch tending to thrust the end walls out? or did you build your end walls inside the arch?
Dave
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
What did you do to counter the expansion of the arch tending to thrust the end walls out?
For the outer arch.
With the thermal break that is incorporated in the build the outer arch barely gets warn to the touch, so far so good.

For the vault roof.
The chimney load (450Kgs) is supported on the front oven walls providing substantial downwards thrust, the back wall of the oven is tied in with the side walls to eliminate movement.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK should be right then. In kiln building the end walls of a vaulted kiln should be inside the vault otherwise steel bracing is required. Our ovens are small by comparison and do not reach high temps, so the amount of expansion is less, but it is still in the region of 0.5% which would be 5mm over a metre. It is for this reason that many kilns have their inner bricks dry stacked rather than mortared.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Journeyman

Is the expansion .5%...or is it .05%?

I thought in an earlier post you indicated the latter??

One other thing David, I've heard you say a couple of times that the end walls should be inside the sidewalls on a vaulted oven. Could you explain exactly what you mean by that and tell me why. Please keep in mind that I am a complete rookie and have no masonry experience when you are explaining. (In other words...dumb it down for me.)

Do you mean to say that the end walls should not be tied in with the side walls with interconnecting bricks?

Bill

Last edited by WJW; 01-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was correct the first time 0.5% is about right, I wasn't thinking straight, probably my home brewed cider clouding judgement again, that's why I amended the post. It would be about 5mm over a length of around a metre, from ambient to 400 C.
What I mean by having the end walls inside the barrel arch rather than outside, is that the end walls should sit underneath the arch. Otherwise, when the arch expands it will tend to push the end walls out. The end walls should also be tied in to the side walls below the arch. in kiln building it is recommended to have steel bracing with adjustable steel rods and nuts to hold the kiln together if the end walls are outside the arch.
Dave
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The larger the radius of the arch in a barrel vault the greater the outward thrust on the side walls. This force is created by the mass. Thermal expansion increases the thrust as well. But there is also considerable force on the end walls from expansion. The longer the arch is the greater will be the amount of expansion. For a small oven it may not be a problem, but if your ach were two meters ten that would be about 1cm to deal with.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Journeyman

I understand what you're saying David..but with the end wall inside the vault, doesn't the end wall expand outward and tend to push the vault outward? I suppose if the vault is expanding as well that may not be a bad thing...but just asking.

Bill
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The end walls, arch and side walls expand the same amount so they don' t exert any extra force under the arch. the end walls should be tied in to the side walls at the corners, so there should not be a problem there. This is where the dome, being circular, has less problems with brick expansion.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Journeyman

I got the enclosure sidewalls attached, insulation in place, and the first few bricks down. Took Al's idea and went with the layer of blanket between the block walls and fiber board to allow some compressibility to deal with thermal expansion. This is going to be one well-insulated oven. When I'm not using it to cook, I'm going to keep my beer cold in it.

Photos below...if anyone sees anything that causes alarm bells to go off I'd love to hear it.

Rebar epoxied into slab.

Block walls laid in place and epoxied down so I could press against them when squeezing the insulation in place so that the fiberboard would actually be buttressing the firebrick sidewalls. (I'll fill the voids with concrete in a day or two.)

First few bricks going down. I intend to place the floor within the walls. I've seen it done both ways but it seemed that the floor would wedge up against the soldier course wall and take the load from the arch better. Any thoughts?

Detail of the side wall.

A buddy of mine is a concrete contractor...he loaned me his brick/block saw. The thing is a monster. It's MKDiamond's MK2000, 14 inch blade. The saw alone weighs 165lbs. I about killed myself getting it onto a table...but it sure goes through the bricks easy enough! I'm ready.

Last edited by WJW; 01-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.