Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Recipe from an 1893 book.

I'm not actually planning to experiment with it. I am trying to take an educated guess at the chemistry, but my education must be a bit lacking.
In any case, I doubt it'd work out all that cheap.
The major component is iron filings. I reckon you'd want clean filings, not anything that's been cut with a disk, as that would have a fair level of contamination in it. (The disks are carborundum, but the binder is some substance that melts.)
I reckon the iron would end up sintered - which won't be all that dense.

If you want to cast an oven with a homebrew, try reading michelevit's "Brickless oven on a shoestring" thread for some insights.

Quick heat up is a function of size, shape, thermal mass, insulation, and firewood quality.

Hint, a small oven may use less wood to heat than a large oven, but it won't necessarily be faster, due to you can't fit as much fire in it.\

Anyway, my personal experience is that the day will come when pizzas just ain't enough, and you'll want to do all the other stuff - roasts, breads, retained heat baking in general.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Even with wet cutting you should protect your lungs, the sharp silicon oxide that causes all the problems is still present in the water spray, I have a mate who now has silicosis from wet cutting bricks for a living.
Exactly. I might have to get you to speak to our masons. I tried to tell them the other day that just because they have a wet saw that is no excuse for not wearing any breathing protection.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
I'm not actually planning to experiment with it. I am trying to take an educated guess at the chemistry, but my education must be a bit lacking.
In any case, I doubt it'd work out all that cheap.
The major component is iron filings. I reckon you'd want clean filings, not anything that's been cut with a disk, as that would have a fair level of contamination in it. (The disks are carborundum, but the binder is some substance that melts.)
I reckon the iron would end up sintered - which won't be all that dense.

If you want to cast an oven with a homebrew, try reading michelevit's "Brickless oven on a shoestring" thread for some insights.

Quick heat up is a function of size, shape, thermal mass, insulation, and firewood quality.

Hint, a small oven may use less wood to heat than a large oven, but it won't necessarily be faster, due to you can't fit as much fire in it.\

Anyway, my personal experience is that the day will come when pizzas just ain't enough, and you'll want to do all the other stuff - roasts, breads, retained heat baking in general.
Thanks wotavidone for linking me to the thread. I'm reading it. It is so helpful