Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Question about insulation

Hi Santino,

Don't worry about mistakes with vermicrete. It's hardly a problem to work with. Just don't tamp it too hard, you don't want to compact it. And try to avoid using too much water since too much can wash the Portland cement off the particles of vermiculite. Lots of builders have used it with good success.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Laborer

If my math skills are correct the area insulation is around 11-13sq ft. (pi x r squared). The area of your vent landing is at most 2-3 square feet. The HW board I was quoted was
2" x 12" x 36" or 3 sq ft each. They come in a box of 8 for $104.60 (Seattle Price) Unless I am completely screwed up in the way I do math, which is entirely possible, I think that one box should be more than plenty to take care of your oven. I suspect that if you have leftover someone on the forum might take it off your hands.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Laborer

Faith, just wanted to let you know I picked up my ceramic fiber board today from HW in Charlotte and the guy knew who you were! Wish I could remember his name, but he mentioned he knew of a woman in VA that built a pizza oven and bought their product out of Salem, VA. I said, "That's who told me to call you guys!" Small world...Thanks for letting me know about them.

On a side note, one of the guys there showed me a bulk ceramic fiber product that looked like cotton candy. He told me that maybe I could use it instead of the blanket. It was around $79 for a 25 lb box. Do you know anything about this product?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Laborer

So, why does the price vary so wildly. I just called the HW office in CT. Quoted a price around $200 for a 1"x24"x25' blanket and almost $30 a sqft for board! how is it that some people are sourcing this for such a low price?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Journeyman

Hi jatsrt,

Good question. Ask them for a price list.

You can have FB blanket and board shipped for way less than what they quoted.

Contact "Thermal Ceramics" and ask them about their blanket and board. You should be able to Google for their address.

Best of luck,

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Laborer

Do you mean Morgan Thermal Ceramics?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Journeyman

Hi jatsrt,

Yes.

Also, search for a commercial or industrial insulation supplier in your area. These are the folks who supply commercial contractors and builders. I was able to source the Morgan TC products without having to drive too far.

Cheers,

Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM

It pays to shop around. I found Insblock19, a Harbison Walker product, for far less than my local HW branch sold it for.