Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Oven number two..

Quote:
Ive done the curing fire but the oven just wont get to temp. What is the problem?
Geeze I don't know, maybe I have to add air to my list of things that aren't insulators...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Master Builder

Wrong, air has always been a contributing factor in insulation, but it must be used properly.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Thanks Oscar.
Ill invite all pizza nuts on the forum for a pizza when its done for all their invaluable help, too bad if they live too far away..... let them eat cake.
Hey, I'm not that far away........
Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ill put you on the A list John..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some pics of todays progress.
The hardest thing was driving down Plenty Rd to Bunnings to get the MDF for the form.
They have built houses for 100,000 people out here in the last few years but the road is still little more than a Billy goat track.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven number two..-template1.jpg   Oven number two..-arch-profile1.jpg   Oven number two..-angle-cut.jpg  

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-08-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And the drive to Johhny The Oven mans shop to buy more fire bricks that I should have bought when I was there last week..

The oven itself is done, I now have to do the enclosure and the chimney.
We have a long weekend coming up so hopefully.....fingers crossed. it might get finished enough to use.

I laid the oven roof bricks flat to get more coverage and am going to use up a load of castable refractory concrete I have to bulk it up for mass.

As you can see the roof is bonded like it should be, even the 20mm pieces down the centre.
If I had of flattened down the profile I could have eliminated the 20mm piece but I needed the height to get to the Golden Ratio of 63%.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven number two..-cutting-.jpg   Oven number two..-oven-top1.jpg   Oven number two..-oven-top.jpg  

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-09-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good-looking build, Brickie. I'm most interested in seeing how you incorporate the insulating firebrick into your entryway...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Good-looking build, Brickie. I'm most interested in seeing how you incorporate the insulating firebrick into your entryway...
Me too, Im making some of this up as I go along...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Laborer

Nice looking oven there. I also am interested in the insulating firebrick treatment. Are these bricks given the same treatment as far as adding a bit of moisture to them at layup and I am also wondering if they are about the same in cost as a light duty firebrick. Looks like a nice way to keep the heat in the oven from spreading out into the landing area. I am guessing its not worth treating the floor at the vent with the same treatment. At the stage I am at I may follow your lead on this one after hearing how this works for you.
Also one more question for you ....sorry about this..........I say your brick splitter on your web site. Would that work ok on Firebricks? I am thinking about all the bricks that I will be cutting in half for the dome construction for a pompeii and the rough edges will be outbound and not seen anyways. Not sure how a firebrick reacts to a split rather that a wet cut?
Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven

Last edited by waynespizzaworld; 03-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynespizzaworld View Post
I also am interested in the insulating firebrick treatment. Are these bricks given the same treatment as far as adding a bit of moisture to them at layup and I am also wondering if they are about the same in cost as a light duty firebrick.
The cost of the insulators compared to normal fire bricks was the same price.
I didnt wet any of the fire bricks except those that come off the wet saw, they laid the same wet or dry.

Thankfully the practice of wetting bricks (any bricks) before you lay them stopped back in the 70's here in Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynespizzaworld View Post
Also one more question for you ....sorry about this..........I say your brick splitter on your web site. Would that work ok on Firebricks? I am thinking about all the bricks that I will be cutting in half for the dome construction for a pompeii and the rough edges will be outbound and not seen anyways. Not sure how a firebrick reacts to a split rather that a wet cut?
No need to be sorry, if you dont ask you wont find out.

I havent cut fire bricks with the splitter, but Im sure it would work just fine, it cuts solid bricks better than some wire cuts so with fire bricks being solid it should be ok.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-10-2011 at 08:48 PM.