Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Serf

Default Re: Need small pieces of insulating blanket or board

Like the angle iron idea, but in my case my opening is just small enough than adding any reveal would prevent me getting a pizza in!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Need small pieces of insulating blanket or board

Joe,
with a double layer of superwool in front of the wooden portion of the door, held together with some perforated steel mesh, virtually no heat will get to the wood.
I have proved that on many occasions when getting my oven to over 500˚C (pizzas in 60 second temperatures), closing the door with the fire still in the oven (to allow the bricks to soak), the door hasn't got warm, let alone hot.

skoolpsyk,
either make oval rather than circular pizzas, smaller ones, or leave the bottom 3 or 4" of the angle off then, leaving the maximum entrance width and if you have your rope wired to the expanded mesh out on the edges, you will lose minimum heat. There will always be a compromise somewhere, but anything that helps is worthwhile. You could always reduce this angle to 1/2" if needs be also.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nissanneill; 12-29-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
cannyfradock,
there are other ways in which you can provide a reveal for a door to seal against without going back to square ONE and starting again.
Why not look at getting some 1"X1" angle iron and bending it to your oven entrance shape (if it is arched) or simply make up a square angle frame and using countersunk dynabolts, screw it securely to the bricks. They only need to be relatively small bolts which will leave you with a 1" reveal or edge that you can seal your door. Put some rope around the front of the 2 sides and top and under the bottom of your door and WHALLAH, a 'sealable door'!!!!!

Just a thought.

Neill
Many thanks Niell for the advice. Might go on your plan B of drilling and fixing a couple of lugs for a stop for the door, before taking further drastic action.

Terry (C.F)

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Serf

YES! after hours of (even more) searching, I found morelectricheating.com which will cut off of a roll! $2.85/sq.ft with a $25 min order and $10 shipping. Still a little bit of $ but I'll end up with some extra that I might find a use for someplace else.

thanks everyone!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM

You might look locally for "firestopping". It's the same thing as refractory blanket, and it's sold to contractors to fill cavities in buildings to comply with building code. It's not cheap either, but its sold in small quantities and you can get it at a proper building supply.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Serf

Send me your address and I will send you enough ceramic fibre woll to insulate your door. ck_jrry@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Serf

thanks so much jerry, but my order has already been placed and processed.
happy new year!