Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Finding Building Materials (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/)
-   -   "Micafil" block fill vermiculite??? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/micafil-block-fill-vermiculite-12870.html)

Majic31 05-08-2010 08:09 AM

"Micafil" block fill vermiculite???

I went to my local building supply looking for vermiculite to use as loose insulation over the ceramic fiber blanket I had wrapped around my oven... and they sold me "Micafil" brand block fill vermiculite. It says its for filling concrete blocks or walls and is water resistant. OK- but is it appropriate for the insulating job I bought it for?
I got it home and poked a hole in one of the bags... it's close to the consistency of oatmeal-like flakes... is that what it's supposed to be? I may have had the wrong impression, but I thought it was supposed to be more granular, larger pieces so there would be air pockets...
Can anyone tell me whether this vermiculite is appropriate as oven insulation?
Thanks

Tscarborough 05-08-2010 08:21 AM

Re: "Micafil" block fill vermiculite???

It is fine. Perlite is more granular.

Majic31 05-08-2010 02:50 PM

Reassurance is always good...thanks for the reply

I can't work on it today (too darn cold and the wind's gusting to 60mph), so hopefully tomorrow..

Tscarborough 05-08-2010 02:58 PM

I often get asked the coverage of a 4 cuft bag of perlite/vermiculite in a CMU wall. The answer, of course, is 16 if the wind isn't blowing.

meco211 05-10-2010 07:37 AM

Think that i bought the same stuff, but it is called Zonolite. not sure i can use it to mix with Portland cement and use for my Hearth slab. this stuff is almost powdery looks like pepper almost

Majic31 05-10-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meco211 (Post 89248)
Think that i bought the same stuff, ...this stuff is almost powdery looks like pepper almost

Meco211 - not sure what you have, but I don't think it's the same product as mine (although it sounds like it's originally intended for the same purpose)

As I said in my post - this "Micafil" stuff is almost the consistency of raw rolled oats, not as fine as what you're describing...

Tscarborough 05-10-2010 01:32 PM

Zonolite is perlite and is fine to use, no matter what consistency.

kebwi 05-10-2010 04:07 PM

Vermiculite is a form of mica. They actually look quite similar.

meco211 05-10-2010 07:22 PM

thanks for the response

Johnny the oven man 05-11-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kebwi (Post 89275)
Vermiculite is a form of mica. They actually look quite similar.

Vermiculite is EXFOLIATED Mica. That is, it goes through a furnace @ 1000c and the mica expands.