Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Medium Duty Fire Bricks and Steel Studs

Wow that is a great example of the details of the steel gable. Thank you. I just got my first batch of fire brick and they were 1.88 so I messed up. Out of 120 bricks, I think I found at least 70 that had a side perfect for the floor so I'm happy. I'm pouring the table top on Sunday and looking forward to starting the floor.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Peasant

Oh by the way, do you know of a good example or resource to where and how to build the vent/arch/dome connection and in what order to do that in? Thank you.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lots of great examples of this on the forum. I suggest John's octoforno build to start
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post111125 (OctoForno)

Also probably Russell's utah beehive, and Karanga dude's oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Peasant

After seeing that build and the detail of how he shaped the bricks, it all makes sense. Thanks
Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Serf

Hey, I'm here in Utah but I get no hits on "refractory brick" on KSL or in google. Were these private parties or businesses selling the Geneva brick?

TIA
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

csme

Anderson Development took over the Geneva Steel site in Orem for redevelopment, I think they are located at either 100 North or 100 South Geneva Road. They were the ones selling the old but new surplus "heavy duty" brick from the old steel furnances at Geneva. I know that Dr Masseuse just bought some late summer or early fall. I had given him my surplus from my build. Just a word of warning, these bricks are industry quality and "Veerrrryyy" hard to cut but work great.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Serf

Hey thanks, I'm looking at building a 42" as well, how many bricks should I get?

BTW your oven is amazing. I love the concrete/glass countertop.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I cannot give you a number because I bought various sizes and shapes which I do not think are available any more. Get with Dr. M and see what he bought.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/22014-the_dr_masuess/

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-21-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: add loren's link
Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Apprentice

Yeah they pulled the bricks down shortly after I picked mine up. I think they were really starting development and moving away from the demo of the area. I will be building my dome in the spring time. So if you haven't started yours by then, you are welcome to any extra which I will surely have. Otherwise hit up Interstate Brick in West Jordan. I think they have the best price in the valley on a medium duty fire brick which cuts like butter compared to the heavy duty bricks Russell and I used. I purchased a bunch of the medium duty bricks for my Oven floor to make it flat.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here

Last edited by the_dr_masuess; 11-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Serf

thanks for the reply. I will keep all updated when I get closer, hopefully in the spring. In the meantime if any good materials come up let me know!