Old 03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Serf

Default Re: Materials in Portland, Oregon

I used normal off the shelf mortar (albeit the "high strength" variety), and mixed in 20% fireclay. It worked perfectly. Basically I was assuming that the bag mortar represented the other ingredients in the recipe and I added the fireclay in the appropriate amount. As far as I can tell from the way the mortar worked, its strength, and fire durability, that assumption was true.

It might be a tiny bit more expensive, but far more convenient.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Serf

Scott, have you found the high strength mortar (e.g., type S) mixed with 20% fireclay to still be a good solution? Has it held up? I was reading a thread on this and people suggested against this due to the sand size in the mix being too large.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Serf

Any suggestions on where to get angle iron in the Portland area (preferably westside)? I haven't found 6' lengths of 2"x2"x3/8", as specified in the Block Stand instructions, at Home Depot or the local hardware store.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Apprentice

Mutual materials will have angle iron, but it is 3"x4" cut to whatever length you need. I know the Depot in Sherwood has the 2" angle iron, I just looked at it a couple hours ago (shook my head at how much money they want for it) and I have seen 2" angle at the depot in Tigard also.

I use a 25% mix of fire clay mixed with type S mortar. It does take more skill and proficiency to work with than pre-mixed but it will last.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 AM

Bed rails are a good source of angle iron. Look on craigslist for one of those mattress stands. Another option is to use a little more rebar in the front of your support slab, and forgo that useless row of blocks entirely. You'll have more access to your wood storage that way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Apprentice

Bed rails!!! Why didn't I think of that!! That is a great idea and it would have helped clean out my shed!

Gary
Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Bed rails are a good source of angle iron."

Check your local landfill/dump. Recycle, reuse ! (and it's free).

"Another option is to use a little more rebar in the front of your support slab, and forgo that useless row of blocks entirely. "

I agree with dmun. Throw in a couple of extra 1/2 inch rebar in the front edge of your suspended slab . Make sure the ends of these rebar are angled back or down 12 inches or so to provide anchorage.

Last edited by Neil2; 09-16-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Serf

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think I"ll go with dmun's idea and skip that row of blocks and get a larger opening.