Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.

Yes, it is layered, ala Gustavino:

Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That looks great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I split splits lengthwise (because that is what I had). It is actually not a good idea, even though I full mudded the joints. I am pretty sure the layers have separated from thermal expansion/contraction. The oven stays hot for days, but it won't stay super hot (900+) for very long.

I am ready to tear it out and build another.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was wondering about that, if there was separation that is. Oh well... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tom,
I have valued your advice, admired your oven, and your "place". Here is some "repay" advice . You have room for it. So why not just build another oven along side? Think about the convenience of having two ovens at different temps at the same time. Would that not increase the possibilities . Please don't tear down a perfectly good oven .

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
I don't know if Australia has wolves or not, the indigenous kind or others.
Oz has a yellow wild dog called a dingo. Harder to find a pure dingo now as hunting and interbreeding with domestic dogs has taken their tolls.
The dingo was not considered all that dangerous to human life. So much so that, when Lindy Chamberlain's baby Azaria went missing from a tent at Eyres Rock in 1980, very few believed it was a dingo attack. Most Australians, especially city dwellers, were all too eager to believe Lindy had done away with the baby.
Lindy went to jail, her marriage went under, a movie got made (with Merryl Streep doing the worst Aussie accent ever). In 2012, after 400 documented dingo attacks on Fraser Island, a coroner reviewed Azaria's case and amended the death certificate to say she died due to a dingo attack.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Master Builder

Since the pros have gathered at this sight, I need to get another newbie question answered.. However, I did search this forum and could not find an answer that fit.

I will be using "Oya stone" for the outer landing (many have made polished concrete counters "same area"); I want to attach it with mortar to the structural slab. What recipe mix should I use? Available ingredients: sand, portland, plaster lime.

The stone is only 30mm thick--(probably not important). Mortar for leveling and bond approximately 20mm thick.

My decorative arch same "Oya stone", I have a slab 30cm x 90cm x 6cm thick, I was going to cut in right down the middle to get pieces about 148mm width. Those I would cut into pieces to fit around the opening to my oven. 1 vertical piece each side, another piece angled 45 deg each side, and one piece across the top. Full arch only 5 pieces.

These pieces I would like to fit together snugly--hopefully no mortar joint. Then bond them to the exposed face of refractory/pericrete/render. I will be leaving a reveal to place an exterior door ?? at some future date?? maybe.

What mix of mortar would be recommended for this?

As the render, coat is completed and successive stucco coats applied; the edges of the stone will be covered with these products... with only the face being the exposed surface.

Right now, I need the "decorative arch" in place because there will be a built up area of pericrete & render surrounding the chimney pipe--for lateral support. Part of this build up will rest on the arch and needs to be tied in--both supporting each other.

The 4:1:1 render recipe is really sticky...will that work for what I want to do?

Masonry cement is not available here.

What would be the recommended mix proportions?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Masonry cement is not available here.
Rubbish!!
What do they use in the concrete, its the same stuff.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Master Builder

Photo of "Oya stone"

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-img_2604a.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-img_2605a.jpg

This is a very light colored stone, works well in hot places, often used by kiln builders.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Master Builder

Maybe we are talking about two different things,
I am not a bricklayer, or block layer.
When men would lay brick in the US, they would mix- Portland cement which came in 94 pound bags, Masonry cement that came in 70 pound bags, and sand.

This is the product "masonry cement" which nobody seems to have here!

When they make concrete, they only use "Portland cement". along with aggregates, sand ---da da da ..