Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.

The color is charcoal and the veining is pewter. I created the 1/2" with a wet profiler that is typically used in stone counter fabrication...I use it for pool coping or other custom things. I am inexperienced with adding profiles to moulds, plus.. I knew I could get a nice clean edge with the profiler.

Some shots after final polishing.

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish1.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish3.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish7.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish5.jpg
david s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some close ups of the veining.

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish2.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish4.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish6.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish8.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-final-polish10.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is perfect for accepting a contrasting color. My wife would love that for her kitchen counters. She insists that, that is next on my list . After the new cabinet makeover, repainting and then the floors......I may have miised something on the list, it is is long and distinguished .

"There is a snake in the garden."

Last edited by Gulf; 02-24-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Close up of the profiled edge and a some of the finished product.

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-second-half4a.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-second-half6a.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-bhearth3.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-bhearth4.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-bhearth5.jpg

Home brew concrete and cast-in-place concrete.-bfp1.jpg
david s likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
That is perfect for accepting a contrasting color. My wife would love that for her kitchen counters. She insists that, that is next on my list . After the new cabinet makeover, repainting and then the floors......I may have miised something on the list, it is is long and distinguished .
Ahhh...the honey-do list. After almost 20 years, I have yet to make a dent.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is beautiful,
I wished that I had a comment or emoticon that could do justice to that work of art!

Last edited by Gulf; 02-24-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spellindg
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Ahhh...the honey-do list. After almost 20 years, I have yet to make a dent.
After 37, I can tell you that it doesn't get much better .

Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

So, what I am doing on the oven base will look like a stacked cap. The first one will over hang the stonework by an inch. This one will only show as a band around the oven. The next one will over hang the first cap by an 1" - 1 1/4"ish, and it will carry over the top, right to the stonework on the oven surround. Still working out how I want to do the top...designing as I go really.

The concrete will be a light beige with charcoal and grey veining...I think. I'll probably just post those pictures in the Photo Gallery.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
After 37, I can tell you that it doesn't get much better .
I hope to have perfected my selective hearing technique and be comfortably numb by then.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Master Builder

Adventures in Paradise-
Finally was able to get a new bag of thinset, the owner of the masonry supply store was asking all kinds of questions on what I was doing.. I mentioned "Oya Stone" and he began to give me a bunch of warnings about the characteristics of the product.
1) Extremely soft and water absorbant
2) Has pockets of non-stone material
3) Surface is prone to have (fine dust layer)
4) Really dries fast--(a repeat of #1) with an explanation point!
5) Did not want me to purchase the large size notched trowel (maybe 3/8 notch)
6) He gave advice on setting
a) Use either of two things- a primer, or acrylic bonding agent on surface
b) skimcoat both surfaces--but soak the stone in water as long as possible
c) instead of notched trowel--use his "dongo method", make small meatball size balls of thinset and place them strategically under the stone--press and level into place. He claims that maybe 15 "dongo balls" under a 1x2 block will do the trick!

Today's attempt:
1) First painted water on stone and base--painting alone disappeared almost as quickly as the water was spread... Ended up setting the stone in buckets of water for a while. In the mean time, I mixed up some of the thinset to spec's.

2) Took the stone pieces out, and wiped the surface with a dry towel--surface water disappeared, but stone was probably saturated. This time, when doing a skim coat of thinset, it did not dry on contact.

3) Brushed water on the concrete base once and then skimcoated the base, following up with a setting layer using the notch trowel - 1/4"; went back to the stones and put a layer with notched trowel on them as well. The skimcoat was not dry and the thinset seemed to still adhere.

4) Set the stones in the bed of thinset on slab--tapped and wiggled the stone to where I thought each were in proper alignment- laid down a sheet of poly and a piece of plywood on top of that.

I hope that this time, the stone will adhere properly.?? This stone is really funny stuff, even sitting in a bucket of water with part exposed--I covered the exposed portion with a wet towel, when I removed the towel (though still wet), the stone beneath looked dry!

Back to the arch--tried lifting it up--after 4 days or so, the joint broke loose. The mortar must have dried so fast that no setting occurred at all. I scraped the mortar off with Olfa knife and started soaking the pieces. This time around, I hope the joints hold together!

"Another episode of "Amateur Hour"!