Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: foam concrete

I cast another foamcrete slab tonight and was more aggressive with the foam. I used 70% foam and 30% perlite to make the 5:1 brew. I mixed it in a 20L bucket using a drill with mixing stirrer.it was ridiculously easy. Laurentius I kept enough to make a sample and may do some tests against a 5:1 standard vermicrete sample to see how they compare as insulators.
I also tried adding foam to clay slip 50/50 by volume and used it to make some slip cast bowls. while worked up to a beautiful consistency, just like a chocolate mousse, poured, set and emptied well, on drying it did not release wel from the mould surface and they also all cracked badly. Shall have to experiment more with it. I'll try to post photos, someone may be able to give advice, particularly potters.

Last edited by david s; 10-30-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Master Builder

What about coating the mould surface with saran wrap or waxed paper, if its a flat surface?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No, the clay slip needs to be in direct contact with the plaster mould. The plaster sucks the water out of the clay slip. That is how it dries the casting. A moisture barrier between the two materials won't allow this process. I think the foam makes the material too weak. I might try adding a layer of normal sip first, then the foamed slip and then maybe a final coat of normal slip again so it's like doing a fibreglass foam sandwich. Also might try adding polypropylene fibres to give it mechanical strength.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have been using this foam concrete for a while now and I am convinced of its superiority over perlcrete or vermicrete, it is cheaper, easier to level, requires way less water, faster to dry and a marginally better insulator. I did do some testing of its drying and insulating capacity but my phone line and Internet have been down for over a week and my computer hard drive is being replaced, so limping along with the mobile phone only. I shall post results of my tests when I get reconnected.
Gulf likes this.

Last edited by david s; 11-26-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Keep us posted David,
I am someone who has looked into various forms of foamcrete for uses in home insulation to Hypertufa. I'm very interested in your research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Keep us posted David,
I am someone who has looked into various forms of foamcrete for uses in home insulation to Hypertufa. I'm very interested in your research.
You would need an inner and outer mould to do hypertufa as the mix turns out really fluid. It won't work up to a plastic mix. This is one of is drawbacks. It also does not release from the mould surface as easily as normal concrete
Old 11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Master Builder

Hi Dave,

How's it absorbency? Is it more or less that of p-vcrete?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No where near as absorbent as vermicrete. It took about half the time to dry compared with vermicrete. I shall test its absorbency by placing the samples in equally measured amounts of water and let you know.

Last edited by david s; 11-28-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I tested the absorption rate of the two samples and was surprised at the results. Each sample is 500 ml in volume and I placed 200 ml of water in a container, then placed the sample in it. The vermicrete sample had absorbed all of the water in 10 mins, while the same test with the foamcrete left 71ml of water (ie it had only absorbed 129 ml) in the same time. It proves that perlcrete takes up more water and at a faster rate and then takes longer to get rid of it. That's a big winner.

Last edited by david s; 12-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK here are the results of my tests on this stuff. I am thoroughly convinced of the superiority of this material. I hope someone else will be keen enough to try it and verify my results.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Foamcrete copy.docx.zip (90.8 KB, 96 views)