Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: foam concrete

That'll work. The foam will probably climb out of the top of your jerry can.
It's obviously carefully formulated to give you very strong bubbles of a small and uniform size. Very keen to see how this works out.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm hoping to use the outlet tap on the jerrycan to release the foam. Compressor to do the agitation then use a bicycle floor pump to push the foam out via the tap in a controlled way. Should be fun.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Foam concrete is quite different to Hebel or AAC. They use Aluminium powder to react with lime producing hydrogen which creates the bubbles. Foam concrete relies on generating the foam first then mixing it into the cement slurry, a far simper process by the sounds of it and should be a workable solution for the small operator.
Sorry, I was not suggesting you make your own aac concrete. If you can find a source for this block, it is non combustible, insulating materiel that can be easily worked with hand tools. I think it would be a great material for the insulating layer, depending on availability.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used AAC (Hebel) for the supporting slab under my mobile oven. I used what they call Power Panel which is 75mm thick reinforced with 4mm steel rod. I was hoping this would be strong enough and insulate at the same time. Unfortunately it has cracked, although I'm not sure if this was due to inadequate strength, heat, or going over a speed bump way too fast. Fortunately it sits in a steel cradle which holds it all together so is still operational.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

AAC is non combustible, but heat does degrade it. If you can keep it below 500F it will work fine, but above that it goes brittle then crumbles.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am sure the vermicrete slab or AAC if used for underfloor insulation would exceed 500 F. Anyone removed floor bricks and inspected the vermicrete for signs of degradation?

Last edited by david s; 10-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

250F is no problem, degradation does not begin until +/- 500 degrees F. I have used AAC for doors and it fails rapidly.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Peasant

Wink Re: foam concrete

Hi all - I'm a newbie so hopefully will not be re running old info

I have stumbled across another version of the lightweight concrete. Cellcrete (apologies if this is a brand name only) is a concrete sheet like a giant honeycombe bar of aerated concrete. I have been told that it is made by mixing alumium swarf into the concrete. The whole thing is then heated to a point where the aluminium burns and vaporises leaving gas bubbles behind it. Hence it is already hardened and can be cut using a hand saw.

I will be giving this a try and will let everyone know how I get on - watch for the saga - I aim to eat pizza by christmas!!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikato pizza View Post
The whole thing is then heated to a point where the aluminium burns and vaporises leaving gas bubbles behind it.
Long before the Aluminium vapourizes at 2,327 degrees c the cement would have been totally destroyed in the concrete, and probably all of the sand too.

I think someone is pulling your pud.

Source.
Melting and Boiling Temperatures - Evaporation and Melting Heat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I experimented a bit with foam generation today, using 20 ml dishwashing detergent diluted with 200 ml water and using compressed air to generate the foam. The bubbles produced filled the 20 litre container in a couple of minutes, but the bubbles were very large and after 5 mins the volume of foam had deflated to around a third. Hopefully when the specific product arrives it will work better, but it could also be my method or equipment. The pics tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails
foam concrete-img_0028.jpg   foam concrete-img_0029.jpg   foam concrete-img_0030.jpg