Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Serf

Default Re: Fireclay substitute

So, I went to Home Depot, and they say that the Home Depot here in Montana does not carry fireclay and will not order it for me. I followed the link that Cheesesteak provided, and surely, as I entered my zip code, it responded by saying "[HC Muddox Mortar Clay is] Not available in your currently localized store".
I do want to mix my own mortar, that's why I am looking for fireclay. I will try to contact my local pottery suppliers and see what they have to say. But my original question is still, "What is a good substitute for fireclay?" in case I don't find it around here. Or are we all agreeing that it's either fireclay or nothing. My concern is not to be used for leveling anymore, but it is to create my own mortar.
Currently, I can only find wet, premixed fireplace mortar. Which the Pompeii Oven Instructions strongly suggest not to use.

PS Thank you all for your input, it's fun to read.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Serf

Does anybody have a recipe for making fireclay that can be used on a Pompeii Oven?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have you tried the places that do pottery in your area? A quick google showed a few. I was thinking of shipping it to you but the cost was $33.00 or $250+ for overnight.
You might be able to pull it out of the ground. Here is a dumbed down link about it.

Fire clay. Where to collect fireclay in nature and how. Buying fire clay.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM

The "traditional oven" link above states that any light colored clay is fire clay. I think this just isn't true. Half of Ontario is built with buff brick, I don't think anyone claims it's firebrick.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Serf

I finally found where to buy fireclay, but I will have to drive 2 hours away. Bottom line, there is no substitute for fireclay. Fireclay is as basic of a component as you can get.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Journeyman

Hello arosheger,

I don't know of a substitute for fire clay but there is a substitute for home made mortar. Check with a specialty insulation supplier for refractory mortar in bags. These are the guys that supply businesses with insulation products of all descriptions. I used Thermal Ceramics brand Smooth Set mortar. A 50lb bag might set you back $70. They may also stock bags of fire clay. You will need more than one bag for a 36" Pompeii unless you taper your bricks for a thin mortar joint. Most of the mortar gets used up from the huge joints on the outside of the oven. Another source for fire clay and refractory mortar would be one of the brick and masonry suppliers located in Bozeman.

BTW, Home Depot is loathe to special order a single bag or small amount of fire brick if it has to be shipped in. I've been through this on other items from HD. They would likely have to order a pallet of fire clay just to sell one bag. Shipping cost and shelf loss from torn bags make it unprofitable. The special order desk may be able to look up the nearest stocking HD.

Cheers,

Tags
cooking floor, fireclay