Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Finding Building Materials (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/)
-   -   Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/fireclay-refractory-mortar-utah-12622.html)

Derkp 04-15-2010 11:07 AM

Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any local supplier of fireclay and the proper refractory mortar in or near Salt Lake City?

Thanks,
Derk

durangout 05-15-2010 12:51 PM

Re: Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

I just got my hi-temp mortar from Harbison Walker @ 4521 W 1980 S. I'm still looking for fireclay.

Derkp 05-17-2010 05:07 PM

I bought some fireclay from them. Which hi temp mortar did you get?

The fireclay was cheap, $15.00 or so per bag.

Derk

durangout 05-17-2010 09:51 PM

The mortar was model KS 4V Plus. I didn't even thing to ask them about fireclay. I'll go back and get some this week.

meco211 05-18-2010 12:31 PM

I am looking for Fire clay also? Are you picking up in person or having to order off line? lots of places around here have the premixed refarctory motar in 1 gallon tubs, but that is pretty expensive.

Derkp 05-18-2010 01:01 PM

Toby,

I am luck enough to have a Harbison Walker distribution center relatively near to my home.

Do a google search for Harbison-Walker or ANH. They are refractory people and they have distribution centers in quite a few places.

I bought 1 bag of refmix from Calif. It was $50 + $20 shipping to get to Utah.

I then bought 2 bags of fireclay from Harbison-Walker and some lime, silica sand and Portland cement to make homebrew mortar.

Derk

durangout 05-18-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meco211 (Post 89863)
I am looking for Fire clay also? Are you picking up in person or having to order off line? lots of places around here have the premixed refarctory motar in 1 gallon tubs, but that is pretty expensive.

You don't want the premixed stuff. It won't "air-cure" and you will never get the oven hot enough to fully cure it.

meco211 05-18-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durangout (Post 89870)
You don't want the premixed stuff. It won't "air-cure" and you will never get the oven hot enough to fully cure it.

So you dont want to use the stuff they sell premixed? When i called they have 2 types one for inside and one for outside

meco211 05-19-2010 08:07 AM

Derk

Well after calling a million places, no one around here sells any Fireclay, some places didn't even know what i was talking about. I looked up that Company u recommended and they sell it and will ship the fireclay to me. (Still waiting on an email with shipping costs, but the clay its self is .34 cents a lb. The salesman was trying to get me to use seirset (spelling) He said this is a tigh tempature air set premixed mortar. Was ondering if anyone else has heard of this stuff?

So thanks for the info on ANH

fxpose 05-19-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meco211 (Post 89947)

Well after calling a million places, no one around here sells any Fireclay, some places didn't even know what i was talking about.

Perhaps it could be the terminology. Try asking for mortar clay. The stuff I picked up locally is bagged and labeled as "mortar clay". This is what several local dealers carry when I asked for fireclay.