Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Fireclay in Japan

Dann,

Hope you do not take offense in being called "the professor". It is meant in a good way. There are a lot of gaijin living in Japan, but very few who have risen to the level to have retired from a job as "a professor" in a Japanese University! What a great accomplishment!

Regards
Mikku
Old 01-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Serf

No offense taken. Actually, I was lucky. When I started at the uni the Vice-Regent told me that for 5 years, I wouldn't have much to do besides classes but that after that I would be busy. After five years they put me in charge of all the required English classes. I had about ten full and part-time people working for me. The next year they promoted me to full prof, and after another year tenured me. At age 65 I was retired then brought in as special prof. Then they put me on almost every committee in the uni.

Now I am completely retired, but a number of the other profs still call me for help.

Dann
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Are you still in Japanland? or heading back to the big island--continent?
I looked at google maps and Nozawa Onsen is not that far from where I live if you gauge mileage by how a crow flies--but it is about 3 1/2 hours by car if the roads are good.
Thanks Mikku, we're in Kyoto now and return to Australia in a few days. I am visiting a potter here while my wife does a cooking course. Kyoto is wonderful, much prefer it to Tokyo, although the best was the skiing in Nozawa Onsen.
Keep cooking,
Dave
Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Master Builder

Unhappy Re: Fireclay in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Thanks Mikku, we're in Kyoto now and return to Australia in a few days. I am visiting a potter here while my wife does a cooking course. Kyoto is wonderful, much prefer it to Tokyo, although the best was the skiing in Nozawa Onsen.
Keep cooking,
Dave
I traveled through Kyoto only once but never stopped to look around-- that was a long time ago. It was when I still lived in the USA and was visiting. We had Japan Rail Green Car Passes and wanted to take advantage of them. We had reserved seats to Kyoto but as we neared Kyoto, the train was running slow and sprinklers were being used to keep the tracks clean of snow.

I was fed up with snow and cold from Minnesota--instead of getting off, we continued on to Hiroshima and later on to Kyushu ending up at Beppu. There is a wonderful onsen Hotel Sugunoi where we stayed a couple more days before returning to Tokyo.

Did you buy JR Passes before entering Japan? If you do any amount of traveling here, they are well worth it.

Sounds like you are having a good time. Glad to hear it. I hope you spent a lot of money, the economy needs all the help it can get!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have certainly spent lots of money. Buying food or eating out costs about half of what we'd pay in Australia so we've been eating out every night. I can't believe how many great little restaurants Kyoto has. It seems like every second shop is a restaurant. Last time we visited Japan I didn't really like the food, but this time I've been a little more discerning and have loved everything. Japanese are so inventive with a huge variety of foods. Nashiki markets here in Kyoto are truly amazing. Yes, we did get JR passes and have been using it well also local trains and buses, very efficient.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Have certainly spent lots of money. Buying food or eating out costs about half of what we'd pay in Australia so we've been eating out every night. I can't believe how many great little restaurants Kyoto has. It seems like every second shop is a restaurant. Last time we visited Japan I didn't really like the food, but this time I've been a little more discerning and have loved everything. Japanese are so inventive with a huge variety of foods. Nashiki markets here in Kyoto are truly amazing. Yes, we did get JR passes and have been using it well also local trains and buses, very efficient.
I thought that basics were inexpensive- like toilet paper, paper towels, health insurance...but food in supermarkets or eating out, I have always thought was very expensive. But the quality of vegetables etc is exceptional. Maybe that is why there are so many WFO's and enthusiasts in Australia--because of the high prices...of prepared meals!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Master Builder

Dann,
Don't know if PM got through--if not, send another PM with your contact information.
Gary
Old 03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpizzaovenguy View Post
Hello,

I just joined this forum and decided to post here since I live in Gunma. my son and I! along with the help of a bunch of other people have got a Pompeii 42 inch oven we'll along to completion. We are curing it now and will be testing baking bread and pizza this coming weekend.
One of the people who helped is a potter I Kiryu, who suggested a place in Kumagaya just across the river from Ota. I got 30 kilo bags of fire clay for 400 yen.
Some background about me: a retired university prof who has been in Japan for more than 40 years. My main hobby is making furniture, particularly reproductions of early American country furniture. My son wants to bake bread and make pizzas, I want to roast turkey for Christmas.
Wow, thanks for the tip! Sorry I have been away from this forum for a quite a while (I have been hanging out at a hot pepper forum). Kumagaya huh, I think thats not too far off from me since I also live in Saitama Prefecture, so I might have to dig around.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmost View Post
Wow, thanks for the tip! Sorry I have been away from this forum for a quite a while (I have been hanging out at a hot pepper forum). Kumagaya huh, I think thats not too far off from me since I also live in Saitama Prefecture, so I might have to dig around.
Don't know if the 800mm of snow from the 2 week ago dump is melted! Also this week--we had rain! Don't know what Dann had in his area. Maybe a little too early for digging unless you mean snow.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Serf

Hi guys,

We had rain earlier this week as well, not a lot though. There is still some snow on the ground from the big snow last month.

The place I got the fireclay is about 500 meters to the right off 407 just after crossing into Saitama. They have all kinds of clay and other such stuff.

Too cold and too much snow to work on the oven.

Tags
japan