Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:59 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Fireclay in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpizzaovenguy View Post
Well, it looks like I still have some fiddling to do. The photo in the previous post so upside down!?

Dann
With all the year end activities, parties, consuming alcohol more excessively, your picture looks just fine! Do you have any views of the other sides?

I finally got my oven outdoors again and elevated into its' final resting place. Had a lot of trouble with borrowed equipment; actually ended up borrowing two forklifts and a UNIC boom truck. Borrowing is great to get the job done but payback is a bitch. Two large -- fully loaded pizza's for one forklift and boom truck; overhaul a chainsaw for the other forklift! Wonder why nothing gets done at my house?

Really thought I'd get more done over the New Years' break, but this time of year is full of interruptions!

Last two days, bread baked twice, one baked hot dish, BBQ baby pork ribs--once all the extra insulation is in place, oven should really hold the heat.

Started a fire with twigs from a downed pine tree; added a few chunks of oak, added another chunk of oak at 11:30AM... Cleaned the oven at 2PM, at 4 was still too hot 300C, took the door off for an hour ...after closing again read 230C---put rye bread in --added steam...after 15 minutes the top of the bread was burnt slightly and the oven read 280C!

Bread was done inside and tasted great! Way--Way too hot...need to get used to times and temperatures again!

Just checked a few minutes ago---still 250 and its been 7 hours since I took the ashes out of the oven!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Serf

I am going to try to post another pic. This one shows the front of the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireclay in Japan-pizzaoven2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Master Builder

From what I can see, it looks like you have your chimney starting inside the dome and use a damper to close off when you need to bake. Is that a correct assumption?

What is the next step you are planning for the oven? Installation of the pericrete insulation layer? / ceramic fiber chicken mesh and pericrete? Then you mentioned something about three partial walls...

Is the colder weather delaying any of your oven completing plans?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Serf

Hello,

Yes, the chimney begins just inside the panel that defines the top of the door. The chimney is simply a 150mm stovepipe that continues out through the roof. I'm attaching a picture of the flame pattern in one of the curing firings. When the fire and oven are quite hot, the flames reach nearly to the floor on the opposite side of the dome.

We get plenty of draft, probably a function of the length of the chimney.

We hope that we can get started later this month putting up more of the clay (about 5 cm.), followed by the vermiculite concrete (about 20-25 cm.with a chicken wire armature to help support it as it dries. The final coat will be white mortar as a cosmetic finish.

Hope the weather won't impact us too unfavorably. We will wrap everything in blankets and blue sheet to keep frost out each night.

Walls: On three sides of the roof structure, there will be walls running from about 40 cm above the ground up to about 2 meters. I already put in one of them on the side away from the oven, but will need to re-design as it interferes with using the peel when loading and unloading the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireclay in Japan-pizzaoven1.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 AM
Master Builder

Looks like the fire is roaring and putting out the BTU's, also the interior brickwork looks great.

I've been building an outside structure for my oven and decided against a masonry base entirely. The enclosure is 2275mm, wall center to center for width and 2730mm depth from front to rear (the space for the oven). The oven weighs about 1.25T in materials and is supported by 3- douglas fir beams 180mmx105mm beneath the oven. six places for support so each leg supports only 460 pounds. Should not have any problem with these beams and the entire space under my oven is open --for whatever use!

This space is part of a larger structure that will hold my supply of firewood for our woodstove in the house and the WFO.

My current plan is to apply one more render coat with a vent at the top of the dome, then build some walls on each side of the slab extending maybe 8" above the highest point of the dome and place loose fill vermiculite into the void. The thickness will vary from 6 to 15" thickness. The oven already has 100-150mm thickness of pericrete as insulation already.

When the entire assembly is complete, I only need to do a nice job on finishing the face of the oven--all other surfaces are of no importance. This should really hold the heat in!

The next issue to tackle is my chimney height. The rule of thumb for chimneys is to be 600mm above the nearest roof that is within 3 meters- measured horizontally. I might end up having a pretty tall chimney because my house is very close and the roof slope is severe 8/10 pitch. or slope whichever term you want to use.

Every day--fun and games!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mikku,
If you are building an enclosure for your oven then there is no need to render a hard shell over your existing insulation. Save yourself the extra weight, time, materials and expense.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Master Builder

I have a partially completed render coat on the dome right now with cracks that I want to seal up better. That is the reason for the render coat --nothing more.

Sand, Portland, a little lime and water are pretty cheap commodities. Right now it is accessible and very easy to work on--later impossible.

I thought you were skiing somewhere in Japanland--still have time to post?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post

I thought you were skiing somewhere in Japanland--still have time to post?
Yes, we're at Nozawa Onsen, just about to hit the slopes. Had tons of snow since we arrived, but today looks like being sunny. We have WI Fi at the lodge and although I haven't been thinking much about ovens, I do plan to build an Onsen over an oven when we get back. Can't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Master Builder

Welcome to our "neck of the woods"!

Do agree--an oven could produce a huge amount of hot water, just with some loops strategically placed. Plenty for an "onsen" type of bath, plenty for household use as well.

That is one of my ideas for the future as well, but a casting inside a beer keg with loops in the casting.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:21 AM
Master Builder

Are you still in Japanland? or heading back to the big island--continent?
I looked at google maps and Nozawa Onsen is not that far from where I live if you gauge mileage by how a crow flies--but it is about 3 1/2 hours by car if the roads are good. The "professor" is a lot closer to that area--but it is still a good drive for most people.

I hope that you are enjoying your time here! As a resident, I rarely see the attractions that visitors enjoy... A visit to an onsen --is something you can do anytime, but I haven't gone in years...don't know why, it is a really enjoyable experience! If you were closer, I'd invite you over for a pizza....
I made one tonight even though the chimney does not even protrude through the roof...

Big danger of the roof catching fire, but stainless pipe is a special order item in 150 diameter--so, just wait and keep an eye on the smoke venting from the chimney!!!!!!!!

Tags
japan