Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Serf

Default Re: Fireclay in Japan

Sorry, for the late reply. My brother was in town for about two weeks and just left last Thursday.

I have noticed there's a lot to be researched when building WFOs. That said, just the other day while vacationing in Yamanashi Pref. I saw an old guy with a truck mounted WFO. His construction was pretty simple. Basically just fire bricks on his truck bed with what looked like a concrete dome. It was a very low dome. Looked like it worked fantastically though.

Anyway a bit on my background, I am first generation Vietnamese born in the US. I studied Japanese in college. Came over here first to study, then to teach, and then just stuck around. I hate to admit it, but the catalyst was old school anime, haha.

For asian twists on southern food huh. Well, my friend's mom has a recipe for Asian style fried chicken wings that uses fish sauce as its base. It's truly a delicious treat. I'd have to pester him for it. Lets see, Asian BBQ often uses Chinese five spice. Off the top of my head thats all I can think of at the moment. And on that note, gonna take an early night tonight.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Master Builder

Does your mother or any of your siblings do any cooking--Vietnamese style? would really like authentic recipes of some of the delicious things you have grown up eating! You are just teasing when you give a recipe name without the ingredients or how to---as far as making! Please do some checking and post the results soon!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Master Builder

Are you driving around Japan or traveling by train or something else?
If you are driving, take the time to come to Nikko. I can show you how mine works and maybe you will decide to try one like mine. It sure is a lot easier than doing it out of brick! Also it heats up quickly, retains it heat well, and you can choose your own exterior finish! The sky is the limit on ideas to decorate and personalize this type of oven!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Serf

Haha, my brother left on 8/22 actually, but actually mayhaps I will take you up on your offer. We take our kids to Nikko from time to time, well Tochigi anyway. Last time we were up there we went to Mashiko and did some pottery, before heading to Nikko to stay at a pension. It was a great trip.

Annnnd, actually I have a recipe for you this time. I remembered I had stored my friend's recipe in my evernote account! The following is an Asian take on chicken wings and the recipe belongs to my friends mom. You may adjust as you like, the recipe assumes you have basic knowledge of fried chicken and I think he said to assume 2lbs of wings, but can't remember so you might have to play with it.

Mama Pham's Chicken Wings

Chicken (adjust amounts as necessary):
  • 2lbs (my assumption) chicken wings
  • (optional) 1/2 tsp ajinomoto (umami/msg)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • starch for frying (you could use katakuriko)
  1. Mix seasonings with chicken and let marinate at least 1 hour.
  2. Roll the chicken in starch and fry until browned.
  3. Remove from oil to a paper lined plate. Use enough paper to soak up excess oil.

Sauce (adjust as necessary)
  • 3 stalks green onion (hosonegi), diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 stick unsalted butter or equivalent oil
  • 3 asian soup spoons of sugar (japanese renge)
  • 2 asian soup spoon fish sauce (japanese renge)
  • Sriracha chili sauce for heat, or equivalent
  1. Mix sugar and fish sauce in a bowl, set aside.
  2. Brown garlic in a frying pan with butter or oil.
  3. Add green onion to garlic mixture and stir fry.
  4. Add in the fish sauce mixture and stir a couple of times.
  5. Remove sauce mixture from heat, combine in a large bowl or container with the chicken wings and toss.
  6. Crack open a beer and enjoy.

My friends mom uses this at her billiard back in the states, they always use a 24pc tray of wings, so I am assuming its equivalent to 2lbs. Good luck! I actually haven't tried to make them myself, but have eaten them from tie to time when visiting. They are like crack!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Master Builder

Thank you for the recipe!
My wife makes chicken wings occasionally and they have a sticky sauce that keeps you licking your fingers all the time!
We will have to try this out real soon--our favorite protein source is chicken, but usually chicken breast. Somehow, chicken breast is not popular in Japan because it is too dry for most Japanese taste. So, I am lucky! We buy from a couple of sources--both gyomu type establishments. If that is the correct spelling--or at least you can get my drift. 2kg packages chilled chicken breast ranging in price from 400 to 700 yen. Each package has approximately 8 chicken breast-all domestic stock. Wings are not usually sold in the 2 kg packs --instead 1kg (forget the price). Dark meat ? (momo) is double the price--but liked by the locals!

As far as coming to Nikko--just let me know--send private message and we can connect. I am working a crazy schedule right now and it is going to last another week or so! Driving 1 1/2 hrs each way to Nasushiobara on a whole house remodeling job--almost finished. But on Sundays, been driving into Ibaraki to help servicing a mini-backhoe... Got it running last Sunday but I was asked to work on another backhoe--replacing some hydraulics and then servicing a forklift. Playing with engines has always interested me but not as a job--this is a hobby! It keeps my mind clearer--because I am focusing on something different than carpentry...but still using my mind and hands!

The area where I live the homes are mostly bessos... many of the owners are from Saitama. The land was subdivided maybe 30 years ago--bubble times and totally sold out. Many people bought land for an investment and did nothing--while others built outrageous looking shacks which are now falling into decay. The land value has dropped so much that it is affordable even to an American senior!

If you come up on a week-end, I'll wait to fire up the oven till you arrive so you can see how it goes and how quickly it comes up to temperature. Maybe even make a pizza or two. Fall is in the air, so try to make some reservations at some decent place in Nikko.. there are so many people coming here to view the fall colors when the leaves begin to change! Still a bit early..but the temperatures are a lot different from Saitama.

I'm assuming that "crack" must be some kind of drug in America! When people talk about cracks around here, they are usually talking about their "brick ovens" or jokes about plumbers' without suspenders! I don't use bricks for my oven dome, so I miss there! Also, I always wear 2" wide suspenders to keep my trousers up! When you have the midlife spread or in my case "almost end of life--slide", have to wear suspenders all the time!

Haven't got confirmation yet, but we were talking about using a unic truck to haul my oven to Utsunomiya for the opening week-end ceremony in November for an architecture office that I work with.. That would be fun--but still undecided!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 AM
Serf

Hello,

I just joined this forum and decided to post here since I live in Gunma. my son and I! along with the help of a bunch of other people have got a Pompeii 42 inch oven we'll along to completion. We are curing it now and will be testing baking bread and pizza this coming weekend.
One of the people who helped is a potter I Kiryu, who suggested a place in Kumagaya just across the river from Ota. I got 30 kilo bags of fire clay for 400 yen.
Some background about me: a retired university prof who has been in Japan for more than 40 years. My main hobby is making furniture, particularly reproductions of early American country furniture. My son wants to bake bread and make pizzas, I want to roast turkey for Christmas.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpizzaovenguy View Post
Hello,

I just joined this forum and decided to post here since I live in Gunma. my son and I! along with the help of a bunch of other people have got a Pompeii 42 inch oven we'll along to completion. We are curing it now and will be testing baking bread and pizza this coming weekend.
One of the people who helped is a potter I Kiryu, who suggested a place in Kumagaya just across the river from Ota. I got 30 kilo bags of fire clay for 400 yen.
Some background about me: a retired university prof who has been in Japan for more than 40 years. My main hobby is making furniture, particularly reproductions of early American country furniture. My son wants to bake bread and make pizzas, I want to roast turkey for Christmas.
Hello and welcome on board "khpizzaovenguy"!

Good to hear another person from the Midwest is living and enjoying making a pizza oven here. I'm not so far away from you if traveling by mountain roads.

Our oven is sitting on casters in the garage right now while I work on a permanent enclosure outdoors.

You are pretty close to Gunma Costco, so a turkey is just a jaunt away by car.

Hope to hear more about your baking and roasting experience.

So far, we have been very happy with the performance of our cast oven.

Gary
Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Serf

Thanks for the pleasant reply. I will be posting more of our experiences as we continue.
Where are you in Tochigi? I am located in Kurohone-cho, Kiryu, about five kilometers from Mizunuma station on the Wararase Valley Railroad line.

Call me Dann.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpizzaovenguy View Post
Thanks for the pleasant reply. I will be posting more of our experiences as we continue.
Where are you in Tochigi? I am located in Kurohone-cho, Kiryu, about five kilometers from Mizunuma station on the Wararase Valley Railroad line.

Call me Dann.
Hello Dann,

My address is: Shionomuro-machi, Nikko-city. Nikko was consolidated with surrounding communities a few years ago. Before the area I live was called Imaichi. I live in a rural setting that was subdivided maybe 30 years ago into smaller parcels. Many people from Saitama and Tokyo purchased land and built vacation homes in the same area. My area has maybe 5% permanent residents and the rest part-timers.

There are several golf courses near me, the closest being less than 1 km away from my home. Unfortunately, I do not golf! That's OK, a lot of people do enjoy the sport!

You are only a hop, skip, and a jump away via the road through Ashio. We were at Costco right before Thanksgiving to pick up a frozen butterball along with a couple of other items. Going by highway through Utsunomiya takes about 1 hour to get there.

Really glad to hear you are around. I know only a few Americans and it is nice to hear of another. Keep in touch any way that you can.

If you have any photos of your oven build, I am sure a lot of people would enjoy looking at them.

Gary
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Master Builder

Google maps says the distance from my home to Mizunuma station is 74km if you take the route, 62-119-120-122 (Shionomuromachi to Mizunuma station), so very close! When living in the USA, we would regularly drive to Duluth for groceries at Cub --that trip was 60 miles each way. The Japanese think 100km is a long distance but really not.

What are the mountain roads like this time of year?

Tags
japan