Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Fire Brick Quality / Chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Thank You texman.I just thought that it would add to the thermal mass and would hold heat longer with sufficient insulation below and on sides.
The firebricks that i have are very old industrial bricks and i have used them in outdoor fireplaces.How would I go about testing the bricks for heavy metals? Would you texman or anybody else have further information ?
Please explain why the extra brick under floor brick [ new firebrick] would not contibute to holding the heat longer with more than adequate insulation. Thanks
It will definitely hold the heat longer with the added mass of the old bricks. I think the issue is that the mass of the floor is significantly different than that of the dome. So after firing the dome cools faster than the floor instead of transitioning in conjunction with each other. Normally, the added floor mass is desired for mass production.

No idea how to test the bricks for metals.
HTH

Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
chemical, fire brick, firebrick, quality