Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Finding local building materials

finding building materials in central Pennsylvania, USA has been very difficult. It has been impossible to find a bag of fire clay to mix with the sand to set the fire brick in on the hearth. I ended up cutting the fire brick in half to get some clay to use in the first layer. that provided me some and was very time consuming. we broke a few bricks and beat them into powder which also took hours and sore forearms. That is just nuts! since I can't find fire clay to mix with the oven mortar I have switched to using High Heat 50 at $90/bag. good luck finding a local source for fire clay.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Master Builder

Try Larkin Refractory in Georgia. They ship anywhere i think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Laborer

I have been on the phone for the last 30 minutes just trying to order some fire clay. I am instructed to put fire clay on the concrete underneath the insulation board. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND! I made my own by breaking down bricks but that took hours to just break three bricks. and I need more. this is ridiculous
Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Master Builder

call Larkin.678-336-7090 phone
678-336-7094 fax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Laborer

i tried tonight at 9 EST. i will try tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Laborer

I called Larkin. they have the fire clay for mortar and is $14.50 a 50 lb. bag
Shipping it to PA would probably double that. thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Master Builder

I paid alot of shipping too. Only way i could get the right stuff. Have you done a google search for refractory supplies or Kiln supplies in your area?
I made a big order and tried to get it all at one to save shipping costs.
texman

Old 06-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Laborer

i did contact every possible place in the central PA area. I just found one local hardscape contractor that will sell me some for $26. I will be away for awhile and my oven project will have to wait. I will also get some fire clay in the meantime. thanks so much for your help. by the way I did get the rest of the materials locally.
question: do you think it would be alright to just use sand underneath the 3.5" soapstone bricks. the fire bricks will be on top of them and the splits will be on top of the fire bricks. a local builder of ovens sold me the soapstone and suggested the splits for the cooking surface. he is in canada right now and I cannot contact him. maybe you can help.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Master Builder

Dagored
I didn't see you mention any insulation in that configuration. The fireclay is used to bond the sand and take the heat that some of the sand particles might not, i think. Sand will work, but make sure there is an insulating layer in there somewhere.
Go ahead and start a thread of your own, probably in the "getting started" and you will get a lot of help from the forum on any questions you have. Post some pics so we can see your build and get an idea or your progress.
Tracy

Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dagored,

HF Muddox has a fire clay product called Mortar "Clay", don't confuse with Mortar Mix. There is a distributor for Muddox products in PA.

Tri-State Brick
#11 Seven Neshaminy Interplex
Trevose, PA 19053
Phone: 215-639-6561

In Utah, this same material was $9.00 a 50# bag, I would think the price would be similar at this distributor.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log