Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: FB Board alternatives?

Hello Kenyaoven,

I think you should start a separate thread for this challenging oven build.

Meanwhile, can you give us more information about how the oven will be used? Is this for residential use and cooking/entertainment? How big of an oven do you plan to build?

Contractors that make large buildings often use mineral wool fire block and noise reduction products made of mineral wool, rock wool or slag wool. There are various names for this product and it comes in hardened batts, sheets and rolls of soft insulation in 4lb and 8lb density. A construction materials supplier should be able to assist you. If you are unable to get the other materials you mentioned then mineral wool is a substitute.

Please do not consider using residential fiberglass insulation. It has an organic binder to keep the fibers together and it breaks down into a smelly mess at about 450 deg f. Mineral wool also has binders and it does produce an odor when heated but it is rated for a much higher temperature. The odor goes away after the oven is heated a few times. As a substitute, I'd consider it.

You might consider tamped volcanic cinders as hearth insulation with a thin layer of clay/sand to level the surface. You will need a concrete or brick form to contain this dry insulation. Tamped in place, it may be a substitute for high tech insulation.

I hope these suggestions help you.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: FB Board alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Try these folks: Skyline Components

They are in Arizona.

My apologies about the FB boards - I just had three delivered to me yesterday for my Pompeii - I may have caused the well to run dry.
I also used Skyline Components for my FB Board & FB Blanket.

I spent a lot of time researching and found the refractory properties an excellent match to the FB Blanket & FB board.
I advocate support Forno Bravo as much as possible, but living on the east coast, shipping from FB was very pricey.

The blanket was model I settled on BL12T25A & the board was model B12T50A.

Hope this helps.
jdjr likes this.

Link to my build -