Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Finding Building Materials (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/)
-   -   dolomitic hydrated spray lime??? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/dolomitic-hydrated-spray-lime-19915.html)

houseofparliament 09-09-2013 05:48 PM

dolomitic hydrated spray lime???

1 Attachment(s)
hey guys

i have been a member here for a couple of years now and can't say enough good things about the help that people receive ....thank you!

im building a 36" oven in stirling ontario canada and im having some difficulty finding lime for the "home brew" mix for the dome mortar. i have attatched a photo of about the only lime i seam to be able to find and i'm wondering if anyone can help and tell me if this is type s or n or if this could be used at all???

i appreciate your time and thank you!

ryan

stonecutter 09-09-2013 07:22 PM

Re: dolomitic hydrated spray lime???

Quote:

Originally Posted by houseofparliament (Post 161453)
hey guys

i have been a member here for a couple of years now and can't say enough good things about the help that people receive ....thank you!

im building a 36" oven in stirling ontario canada and im having some difficulty finding lime for the "home brew" mix for the dome mortar. i have attatched a photo of about the only lime i seam to be able to find and i'm wondering if anyone can help and tell me if this is type s or n or if this could be used at all???

i appreciate your time and thank you!

ryan

Dolomitic has a higher magnesium carbonate percentage than other limestone. You can build with it but..............

There is a good chance that what you have is type N...and you need to soak it to achieve hydration for workability. Did you buy it at a nursery or Agriculture supply?

stonecutter 09-09-2013 07:26 PM

It does say hydrated spray lime though. It could be Type S too...finer particle size for spray applications (AG). It should work fine for building.

EDIT: Just found this..Whitewash Applications | Lime in Building Construction

You should be good.

Tscarborough 09-09-2013 07:35 PM

I thought dolomite limes were hydraulic?

houseofparliament 09-09-2013 07:36 PM

Ah stone cutter... Thank you for the reply! I have read many of your posts and have found them very useful. I will contact the company tomorrow and find out directly if it is type s or n and get back to you. Yes.. I bought it at a co-op farm supply.. The guy said that farmers use it on the barn floors to " soak up the moisture"

I will stay in touch and thanks Again for the reply!!!

Tscarborough 09-09-2013 07:37 PM

Never mind, I read the lit, it is fine for normal Type S lime use.

houseofparliament 09-10-2013 06:01 AM

...and tscarborough...thank you. i will try it out and update the thread for others in my area that would likelt be looking at the same product.

thanks guys!

parly