Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Ceramic Fiber Blanket Dealer ( good deal ?? )

Hey Deejay,

So can you fill me in on the actual dimensions of a single roll? I am considering having my dad pick up a bunch from the store (about 16 since me and 3 of my friends want to build a WFO) and then drive them up in a minivan in March. Having seen the size of three rolls do you think 16 would fit in the back of a minivan with the back seat folded down? And did they come in individual boxes or just as a roll that can be smashed down? Let me know what you think. I want to get them bought soon before the deal is gone so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Journeyman

The one I got from HW came in an individual box. I don't think you could safely drive with a van full of them unwrapped due to the fibers they'd shed. I'd say the box I got was about two feet on a side.

Bill
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
Hey Deejay,

So can you fill me in on the actual dimensions of a single roll? I am considering having my dad pick up a bunch from the store (about 16 since me and 3 of my friends want to build a WFO) and then drive them up in a minivan in March. Having seen the size of three rolls do you think 16 would fit in the back of a minivan with the back seat folded down? And did they come in individual boxes or just as a roll that can be smashed down? Let me know what you think. I want to get them bought soon before the deal is gone so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
As WJW says, the rolls come in cardboard box that is maybe 2 x 2 x 3 in dimension, and each weighs about 50 pounds. I'll leave it to you to decide if that fits in the minivan. But consensus seems to be that you only need 3 rolls for an oven, so not sure why you're getting 16 for 4 ovens.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

A box of CFB is about 15kg, or 33lb's. I can fit about 12 boxes in a Prado with the seats folded down.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Actually, the dimensions for a pallet are on the site

Dimensions for a pallet of 20 units: 43" L x 43" W x 94" H, Weight = 970 LBS

So weight of each unit is 48.6 lbs and volume is ~5 cubic feet.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Journeyman

I think your weight includes the pallet. I just weighed a box of 25mm x 128kg/m3 and it weighs 15kg or 33lbs
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Apprentice

Thanks to all for the info about the dimensions. I was worried about taking a bunch of fiber blankets out of the boxes and putting them in the van so thanks for that. I am glad to know ahead of time.

To answer your question deejay the reason I was thinking about going with 4 rolls per oven is because of the VERY cold winters here in Eastern Idaho. We get down below zero many times throughout the year (I have actually been out working in -30F which is still mild to some) and I want to make sure that I have as efficient an oven as possible in case I get crazy and cook in those crazy temps. And for only $24 bucks a roll I don't think it is all that bad of an investment to put at least 4 inches of thermal fiber blanket on the oven. Am I wrong in my thinking? Or should I just go for it and INSULATE, INSULATE, INSULATE as so many say on this forum? I am open to anybody's input.

Last edited by Pompeii Nate; 02-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Serf

Hello! Just going to chime in on this thread because I am getting ready to order the CFB. I am in Texas and have been looking around for the last month for the best deal on this stuff. I am going with Delta Refractories (located in Houston with warehouses in Houston and Dallas). I am getting 150 sqft 1" X 24" for $1.26 sq ft. no shipping because we are going to travel to the warehouse and pick it up.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Serf

Hey Doctor, I saw that same website, but when you go to add it to your cart, its out of stock. Try Skyline Components, LLC.... i just got 100sq for $160. I've ordered from them before and they ship same day and it's at your house in 4 bus. days.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Master Builder

One more place to look for refractory products. I don't know their pricing so you will have to ask. But I do know they are great people to deal with. Fair and honest
Riverview Refractory Service Riverview Refractory - Refractory Crucibles, Ladles, Thermocouples, and Firebrick Sales and Installation. Boiler Maintenance and Construction. 269-685-8923 Tell them I sent you. Let me know if you check them out. I just bought my firebrick from them for my twins.