Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Castable refractory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
There is more than one sort of Portland Cement available in Oz.
Leaving out rapid-set, sulphate resistant, high early strength, the special white stuff for making nice white mortar, etc, there are two types that you might be offered if you roll up to the hardware store and say "give us a bag of cement, mate".

Type GP is the everday Ordinary Portland Cement.

Adelaide Brighton's FAQ page says Type GB is Portland Cement blended with 30% ground granulated blast furnace slag.

So, the question: is Type GB, containing a cementitious substance other than OPC, a slightly better choice for the cement portion of the homebrew mortar?
Opinions, anyone?
Sure, the mineral content of the slag is refractory material. I would say it would be a better choice because if that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A couple of things to add.
1. Polypropylene rope chopped into strands may not work like the fibres dedicated for the purpose. They are really fine (finer than hair) and melt at 160 C polypropylene rope is probably much coarser and just because its polypropylene doesn't mean it wil melt at the same temp. Suggest you test it.
2.The alkalinity in concrete may provide good resistance to corrosion, but that is for ambient temps. Any reaction is sped up with heat usually, rust certainly is. That, presumably is part of the reason why stainless steel needles are the recommended reinforcement.
3. Hydraulic lime is the preferred choice rather than its poorer cousin hydrated lime, but it is really hard to get in Australia, let me know anyone who can tell me where to get it.

Last edited by david s; 05-30-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Sure, the mineral content of the slag is refractory material. I would say it would be a better choice because if that.
Haven't heard of GB. The choice I have is GP or Builders cement which has more fly ash which improves its viscosity marginally for pouring slabs, although I use a super plasticiser for this.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Apprentice

Interesting posts on mold options. Can you point me to any pics on the forum of these molds so I can visualize.

Thx

Old 06-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Haven't heard of GB. The choice I have is GP or Builders cement which has more fly ash which improves its viscosity marginally for pouring slabs, although I use a super plasticiser for this.
In your part of the world GB might be called Premium or Blended cement.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Master Builder

The other thing I've noticed is that cement production and use seems very localised in Oz. To a certain extent local producers make cement from local materials and sell locally. I guess cement is heavy and freight costs hurt. So type GB might simply not be made in Queensland. A cement manufacturer in Queensland would probably have to go all the way to Mount Isa to get the slag which would cost, I imagine.
Here in South Oz, Adelaide Brighton Cement only have to haul slag 230 km from Port Pirie.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Mick,

How is that small cast oven coming along?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Master Builder

Not coming along at all, unfortunately.
I've scored some free plywood with which to make the mould. #2 son told me about his boss's giant pile of unwanted solar panel pallets, and I picked up some free single use pallets.
This week I expect to start my mates brick oven. After that, maybe.

This interesting link was posted on the uk wood fired ovens forum.

howjunction.com/2022/in-the-garden/how-to-build-a-free-form-bread-oven-1/

The builder used 1 cement, 1 fireclay, 2 lime, 9 sand.