Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Can these be used for oven floor?

Quote:
We used 2 layers of 1 inch thick 14x16 in #2 pizza stones and the floor works great
From a quick look at your site, it says your double-layer of pizza stones sits directly on a layer of sand. How is this working for keeping your stones hot? Do they retain their heat for a long time?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
Kiln shelves are much more thermally conductive and could really throw the balance of the oven off, especially with the high dome of a standard Pompeii oven.
"Harbison Walker (ANH Refractories) has 24"x12"x2.15" refractory tiles which are made of the same material as their firebricks. A year ago these were $32 each at their location in Los Angeles. They have a location in Dallas."

If this is right and the shelves are fired to the same temp as the bricks, then they should be the same density.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
If this is right and the shelves are fired to the same temp as the bricks, then they should be the same density
When I picked up my floor insulation from H-W I tried picking up one of these floor tiles. They looked exactly like the firebricks they had there except maybe a little smoother. They were proportionately heavy and my only thought was "I wish I could afford these"...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Journeyman

Density has nothing to do with conductivity. I'm talking about completely different materials here. Kiln shelves are generally made of Cordierite, which is much more thermally conductive then firebrick. Any I've ever seen that are Cordierite are an even more thermally conductive material.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
Density has nothing to do with conductivity. I'm talking about completely different materials here. Kiln shelves are generally made of Cordierite, which is much more thermally conductive then firebrick. Any I've ever seen that are Cordierite are an even more thermally conductive material.
Sure, but Gianni said Harbison Walker told him that the shelves were made of the same material as the fire bricks. My reference to density was assuming the materials were the same and therefore the only other variable would be the temp they were fired to which does affect density because the higher fired material will be denser because there is greater shrinkage.

Last edited by david s; 03-26-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Journeyman

Got ya now. I was responding to the original poster which I now see was a couple months old. Too bad this old thread was brought back to life by another shameless attempt to drive commerce to another site and away from forno bravo.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hear, hear.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Sure, but Gianni said Harbison Walker told him that the shelves were made of the same material as the fire bricks
Yes, the refractory 'tiles' were made of the same material as their firebricks, but I'm unaware if they are used for kiln shelves.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry, my misreading, as the tiles are over 2" thick I doubt you'd be using them for kiln shelves.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingmorefood View Post
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="DarkRed"]We used 2 layers of 1 inch thick 14x16 in #2 pizza stones and the floor works great.
At $39 ea and a double layer, that"s a pretty expensive floor.
Doubt whether you'll be selling too many of those.