Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Is brass safe in an oven?

All right, all right, all right. I'm not trying to start an argument. I appreciate everyone's opinions about these things. It is true that the bolts holding a pizza peel together won't be in the oven for long periods of time. Many issues have come up. One of the most significant distinctions worth making is between components of a pizza peel and components of a door. We should probably take concerns pretty seriously with regard to doors. Peels perhaps less so.

dmun made an excellent point though about aesthetics as well. My beautiful brass bolts won't last a day anyway so any motivation on that part was ill-thought on my part. It is an open question whether standard zinc bolts (What are they: Solid zinc, a zinc alloy, or zinc-plated?) are more or less harmful than brass. As for whether it matters on a peel due to the brief exposure times, I simply don't know. I will take it all into consideration and act with neither blatant disregard nor obsessive insanity.

Thank you very much. I'm now going to go eat something laden with partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Laborer

the wood you burn probably has lead in it from all of the years of leaded gas:
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is the fumes inhaled that come from the zinc as it melts that are poisonous, but zinc melts at 420 C Don't know what the story is when its alloyed into brass.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

RE: STAINLESS STEEL

Stainless steel cookware as a significant source of nickel, chromium, and iron.
Kuligowski J, Halperin KM.

Division of Science, Engineering and Technology, The Pennsylvania State University at Erie, 16563.

Stainless steels are widely used materials in food preparation and in home and commercial cookware. Stainless is readily attacked by organic acids, particularly at cooking temperatures; hence iron, chromium, and nickel should be released from the material into the food. Nickel is implicated in numerous health problems, notably allergic contact dermatitis. Conversely, chromium and iron are essential nutrients for which stainless could be a useful source. Home cookware was examined by atomic absorption spectroscopy: seven different stainless utensils as well as cast iron, mild steel, aluminum and enamelled steel. The materials were exposed to mildly acidic conditions at boiling temperature. Nickel was a major corrosion product from stainless steel utensils; chromium and iron were also detected. It is recommended that nickel-sensitive patients switch to a material other than stainless, and that the stainless steel cookware industry seriously consider switching to a non-nickel formulation

According to who you ask it looks like nothing is really SAFE........
My point,,,, anything in moderation... hopefully should be okay..
Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When I recommended stainless for the door bolts, it was because this is an outdoor appliance, and I figured he was thinking about brass for its looks. As Dmun mentioned, the pretty brass won't stay that way in the heat- and I have always had better luck with stainless bolts on things that get hot than regular bolts. I like to be able to get them off without them snapping and stripping if I have to get them off for some reason. And they look nicer than galvanized, I think.

I don't think that the bolts on your oven door are going to be a big source of food contamination unless you are using it in a very unusual way... They can, however, be a source of frustration if they break, rust or otherwise fail.