Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Serf

Default Re: Alternative Insulation

I have often wodered about that question. If air is such a good insulator why do we put insulation into house wall cavities? Surely all that fibreglass is taking up the space of good air
Old 03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

Because air can move around between the inner and outer walls it introduces another heat transfer mechanism in the form of convention. That is why double pane thermal windows are sealed and filled with an inert gas to reduce convective heat transfer. If you could seal off the air inside your walls from moving around (say with thousands of thin walled ping pong balls you'd be on to something - a cross secion of that something would start to look alot like foam insulation which is very good).
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimilliano View Post
I have often wodered about that question. If air is such a good insulator why do we put insulation into house wall cavities? Surely all that fibreglass is taking up the space of good air
Convection!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Serf

Wow! I received notification for the first reply to my question, then I assumed the post disappeared into the forum annals. I just came back to post an update on my build and I saw responses to this question got up to page 8! Thanks for the all the replies!

As it happens I managed to bring back a ceramic blanket (I think about 1.5 inches thick) from Canada. The oven dome has been completed this weekend so insulation is the next step. I'm going to read through this thread and see if there is anything I can apply practically to bolster the insulation, since 1.5 inches of blanket may not be enough... especially since the firebricks are especially thick and we really piled on the high-heat mortar.

Update, with pictures. shortly...