Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 3:1:1:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post

Id be happy to dry stack the bricks and then slurry around the outside to keep it all together.
That's exactly what I did - and it works!
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The reality is that there are very few engineers trained in unitary masonry. They study concrete, and concrete (contains cement) and unitary masonry (contains cement) are not the same thing any more than anti-freeze (contains alcohol) and whiskey (contains alcohol) are the same.

The rule for mortar is to always use the absolute weakest mortar that will suffice, and this is antithetical to a concrete engineer. Mortar should ALWAYS have less compressive strength than the units it is binding together. Mortar is not harmed by excess water or retempering, both of which are opposite to concrete.

Using a 3:1:1:1 will work, but the question remains: Is that the proper or best mix? The answer is no. Just as the shape and dimensions of a Pompeii oven have evolved and been fine tuned over the centuries, so has the art of making mortar. It is only in the last 100 years that the art of mortar has been confused with the science of concrete and therein lies the confusion.

Mortar specifications are broad for a reason, and that reason is that the mortar must be prepared for the conditions, not to a narrow definition such as compressive strength.

If you doubt that this is so, study ASTM C-270 which is the ruling specification for mortar.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
anti-freeze (contains alcohol) and whiskey (contains alcohol) are the same.
Are you telling me I have been buying whiskey all these years when I could have saved money buying anti-freeze?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No, I am telling you that if you applied whiskey principles to anti-freeze you would be dead.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
No, I am telling you that if you applied whiskey principles to anti-freeze you would be dead.
Yes, you are! If the first bottle he ever drank had been anti-freeze, he would have never spent a penny on whiskey.
Les likes this.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Didnt they used to put it in wine in Europe some time ago?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Didnt they used to put it in wine in Europe some time ago?
Don't know about that, but sick ---ks, use to kill people's pet by placing it about for them to lap up.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Don't know about that, but sick ---ks, use to kill people's pet by placing it about for them to lap up.
1985 diethylene glycol wine scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I cant believe how many ppl have got their knickers in a knot just because TS made the suggestion that the home brew mortar is way too strong?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

C-270 deals with mortar, it doesn't matter if it is for Antarctica or for your oven, the physical properties required for unitary masonry apply. That said, it does not apply to Calcium Aluminate mortar which is what refractory cement is. The points I am making as referenced by C-270, however, do apply to refractory mortar, i.e. the desired strength and workability.

Refractory mortar physical properties are defined in C-199, which would not allow you to use homebrew at all.