Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Serf

Default Re: Will this design work?

Well, I convinced the customer to go ahead with the White Oven Design that I posted here earlier. He wanted a bake oven without the "carcinogens" associated with the smoke from the fire. Whatever, it was fun to design and build. It is complete now and we fired it today and... it worked amazingly well!!

We hit 550 F in the bake oven easily and cooked three pizza's, two at one time in about 8-10 minutes and the third by itself.

No burnt bottoms, but we did put them on an aluminum pizza plate rather than directly on the brick. I think keeping the floor thick enough was the key. I poured my own firebox/oven divider out of castable refractory. It is about 4" overall in thickness

The entire oven is built of firebrick. The smoke and heat is directed around the bake oven in 2" wide brick lined flues then across the top of the oven and out the back.

We built the oven to look as if it was originally part of the stonework in the surrounding ruins.
Attached Thumbnails
Will this design work?-bake-oven-cut-away.jpg   Will this design work?-bake-oven-pizza.jpg   Will this design work?-bake-oven.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool different and looks great. And cold too. How long does it start at temp without a fire or am I missing something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Master Builder

That looks good! Different to most ovens we have seen here and quite interesting. How long did it take to get it up to temp? What is the heat retention like?

It looks like it belongs in its setting.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well its different.
I think ppl are getting too precious, the carcinogens from wood smoke? If you burn the correct wood its fine and when its hot enough for pizza there is no smoke.
10 minute pizzas, were they boiled in their own juices or cooked through?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemason View Post
Well, I convinced the customer to go ahead with the White Oven Design that I posted here earlier. He wanted a bake oven without the "carcinogens" associated with the smoke from the fire. Whatever, it was fun to design and build. It is complete now and we fired it today and... it worked amazingly well!!

We hit 550 F in the bake oven easily and cooked three pizza's, two at one time in about 8-10 minutes and the third by itself.

No burnt bottoms, but we did put them on an aluminum pizza plate rather than directly on the brick. I think keeping the floor thick enough was the key. I poured my own firebox/oven divider out of castable refractory. It is about 4" overall in thickness

The entire oven is built of firebrick. The smoke and heat is directed around the bake oven in 2" wide brick lined flues then across the top of the oven and out the back.

We built the oven to look as if it was originally part of the stonework in the surrounding ruins.
It's a very clean look too. Glad you succeeded with the build.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Serf

Thanks for the comments..
It did take over 3 hours to get to temperature, it is a solid mass of masonry and the outside air temp was -1 the night before. We were burning a combination of hard and soft wood cut small.

Once the oven hit 500F we stopped adding wood to the fire but with the coals the heat kept rising for another 30 min and got over 550F. Four hours later the oven temp was still over 400F but we left for the night. I imagine it would hold heat overnight.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemason View Post
Thanks for the comments..
It did take over 3 hours to get to temperature, it is a solid mass of masonry and the outside air temp was -1 the night before. We were burning a combination of hard and soft wood cut small.

Once the oven hit 500F we stopped adding wood to the fire but with the coals the heat kept rising for another 30 min and got over 550F. Four hours later the oven temp was still over 400F but we left for the night. I imagine it would hold heat overnight.
As long as it's closed, yes, it will retain heat very well. Congrats on the build - any chance we can see pics?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]